+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fat neck rash???

DS has a really chunky neck, at the start he was getting milk flowing down into the creases but now he doesn't dribble so much bug I still make sure it stays clean and dry but recently it's been getting really red and little lumps are coming up. At first they were a little skaley on the lumps but now they look like little blisters. And now they are starting to come up under his arms. Anyone had this problem ?

I've tried to take a photo but I don't think it's very good. I have put cream in it (that a dr prescribed a week ago but it hasn't changed them at all) so it's kind of shiny but does it look familiar.

It really looks like it hurts, I have another drs appr Friday to tell them the creams not working. But I'm concerned for DS now so any advise would be great fully appreciated.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That looks like more than a fat neck rash. My nice used to get it before she grew into her neck. Hope you get some answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZ View Post
    DS has a really chunky neck, at the start he was getting milk flowing down into the creases but now he doesn't dribble so much bug I still make sure it stays clean and dry but recently it's been getting really red and little lumps are coming up. At first they were a little skaley on the lumps but now they look like little blisters. And now they are starting to come up under his arms. Anyone had this problem ?

I've tried to take a photo but I don't think it's very good. I have put cream in it (that a dr prescribed a week ago but it hasn't changed them at all) so it's kind of shiny but does it look familiar.

It really looks like it hurts, I have another drs appr Friday to tell them the creams not working. But I'm concerned for DS now so any advise would be great fully appreciated.
    Could it be dermatitis or eczema?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD used to get fat neck rash, but it was more a red, raw rash and stunk from the air not getting to the fold and milk/vomit they may have dribbled into it.
    Your photo looks more fungal than anything, you may need some hydrocozole cream as it looks blistery.

With my DD we used to thoroughly dry the area after her baths, and used a separate towel for her neck and used to put some corn flour on her neck so it wasn't continually moist. We also used to encourage her to have lot's of head up movements, so gave her a mirror on the floor to encourage her to move her neck etc. As soon as she was vomity or milky, we would clean the area so it didn't get funky and smelly as well.

It may pay to see the GP just to rule out whether or not it's a fungal infection which can result from the lack of air and moisture in the fold(s).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all thanks for the replies, I have been to a dr who gave me some cream to put on it but it's not looking any better at all. It's not even taking the edge off, the dr said it was from dribble but I try to keep it as dry as I can coz he used to get a lot of milk stuck in there. I put some paw paw ointment on it and I think that might be when the bubbles came up. I might have to go gets other Dr get a second opinion coz its not right I don't think it's just from dribble.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When DD had neck rash I dried the area and applied cornstarch at every nappy change. I don't think wet creams are the best thing.

That said, DD's rash didn't look like the one in the photo, she didn't get blisters like that, so I'm wondering if your DS has something different. Or could he be having a reaction to the cream from the Dr?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun, too me it looks like it started as a fat neck rash and the bubbles are an allergy, maybe his skin was slightly broken when you put the paw paw. My son used to get it in his neck and underarms and elbows, someone told me to use amolin its a nappy cream... I thought you have to be kidding but it really works you can buy it at your local supermarket ( Coles/ Woolworths ) it creates a good barrier and I cleaned gently and applied each time I changed his nappy. Hope you get some answers soon

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PPs ... use Cornflour. I used this with DD (she was a very "healthy" baby and had lots of rolls). Just use the normal cooking stuff.

I also used this for nappy rash. I found it worked alot better and faster than creams. My DD (now 7) will still occassionaly get a sweat rash between her bottom cheeks in summer and I still use it now and clears it up straight away.

My Grandmother used it with my Mother and my Mother used it with us. It works! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't wait any longer because its starting to come out on his chest and under his arms. So we went to a different Dr tonight and cancelled the Friday appt. The Dr tonight said that it could be a couple of things, it could be the soap we use to wash him. And it could just be coming out now because he's developing his own immune system so no longer has mine. He said it could be eczema and he also said it looks like it could have a fungal infection in it. So he's givin us some cream with something to fight the fungal infection. I'll see how that goes. I've also brought some cornflour to try too. I couldn't find any amolin so i'll try another supermarket for that, but first I'll see how the cream goes coz it looks angrier than it did when I took the picture. We'll then try a different soap, a friend has recommended goats milk soap, not sure what it smells like but I'm gonna miss that baby smell. But if its good for DS then I'm pretty sure I can cope. It's so confusing when it could be different things though.

DS seemed to enjoy the new cream being rubbed in to his neck and laught when i rubbed it under his arms though so I hope that's a good sign.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good to hear he had a little laugh when you rubbed the cream in, sounds as though it must havet soothing for him.

If you're going down the nappy cream route, Daktozin is a nappy cream which also has anti fungal stuff in it as opposed to other nappy creams such as Amolin etc which don't and are more a barrier cream.