+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW: Egg and meat

DD is 6 months and loves her food. I'm looking at introducing more sources of protein into her diet (aside from just cheese). When is a good time to introduce egg, either on it's own or in say an omelette (being in mind allergy advice etc)?

Also, can we introduce meat at this age too?

Other ideas for protein sources would be gratefully received!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you don't have any history of allergies I'd say go for it! It's what I did with my blw babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave hard boiled egg cut in quarters to mine from maybe 8 months, and also omelette cut into strips with spinach in it, which is still a favourite.

No meat advice, she is raised vegetarian, sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS had egg pancakes ( 2 eggs with whatever herbs/veggies I had) cut into strips from 6 1/2 months, easy to hold and add anything ( chia seeds, mushrooms, broccoli etc)

With meat, he had poached chicken breast cut into thick strips at 7 months and lamb cutlets about the same time

Protein is in just about everything! Try making fish nuggets ( or chicken) or fish fingers ( we have flat head cut into thick strips then crumbed in rice crumbs and chia seeds) or make spaghetti with any kind of meat sauce

Falafels are great , make into nugget shapes ( these are great BLW foods to take out with you if you are not sure what food will be available)

Homemade baked beans or scrambled eggs smushed onto toast is another good breakfast option plus try and use quinoa ( in porridge, nuggets, meals) any time you can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    steamed fish with ginger and lemongrass was a hit here as were tuna fish cakes.

Lamb cutlets, roasted beef/lamb/chicken cut into thick pieces for DD to chew/suck on.

I introduced shellfish quickly as we eat it weekly - she had thai green prawn curry (mild).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read on the ABC health website recently that new research shows it's best to introduce egg before 5 months I think to minimize allergies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wippy For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (03-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've given my boys both egg and meat from the start. Egg 'pancakes' like EM suggested or omelette. We don't eat a great deal of meat, but when we do have it I will give him a piece to gnaw on, and have done from quite early on.

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wippy View Post
    I read on the ABC health website recently that new research shows it's best to introduce egg before 5 months I think to minimize allergies.
    This is correct. Introducing wheat, egg and peanuts between 4-6 months (starting with tiny amounts) will significantly decrease the risk if allergy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would still wait until closer to 6 months ( as recommended by WHO) as protein digestion and the enzymes needed to digest starches are not fully formed until 6 months

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would still wait until closer to 6 months ( as recommended by WHO) as protein digestion and the enzymes needed to digest starches are not fully formed until 6 months
    recommendations are a lot of the time not up to date with evidence
    Here is one study done http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0...173-5/abstract

The longer you wait, the higher the risk.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lupa For This Useful Post:

saltygirl  (29-06-2012)