+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Kimnus, part of the dramas you would've experienced would be related to the lack of skin to skin contact after birth, particularly if you had a bleed as well as a lack of the natural hormones that stimulate the breastmilk to come in. At a guess your bub was probably in NICU for sometime, that wouldn't have helped the situation either.
    Are you planning on having another csection this time or trying for a VBAC? My understanding is that Wollongong has a LC who can attend your birth for you, if you plan it. I say this because you might have to start the ball rolling now to have him attend. Otherwise I can recommend a private LC I used with my DD
    Unfortunately I don't really have a choice to have a VBAC as the safest option for bub and I is a c-section. Last time I was at Figtree Private and they put bub on skin right after he was brought into this world and he was taken away from me with DH straight away as I had the bleeding complication and they didn't want family in the room. When I went to recovery my DH and DS was waiting there for me and DS was put on to the breast straight away.

But you are right he was taken to NICU he was there 3 nights so we didn't get much time together in the first 3 days and he had formula supplement. Fingers crossed that this time around it is less dramatic

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I had a big blood loss after DD was born (2.5 litres lost). Apparently your body goes into shock when this happens and it concentrates on making blood rather than milk. It happened to me and for 48 hours post birth even the midwives couldn't express any milk, not even one drop.

What we did was give DD a little bit of formula so that she wasn't ravenous and distressed, then put her to my breast to just stimulate it. Then after that she got a little bit more formula, enough to settle her and then she'd sleep for 2 - 3 hours and that process repeated.

I was disappointed to have to use formula, but I wasn't going to sit back and watch her starve. They said that due to the blood loss it could take up to 6 days for my milk to come in. Luckily though, on the third night my body finally got the memo that it needed to make some milk and DD actually started getting a bit of colostrum and then milk from me.

I was able to gradually reduce the amount of formula, and by the time I left hospital on day 3, DD was fully breastfed. And at nearly 7 months she is still fully breastfed.

I believe that by giving the formula and not letting her get distressed and starved, she was able to transition into breastfeeding much more easily. I have no regrets about doing that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my story in case it helps others
    That is good to know, and thank you for sharing your story I hope that my milk comes in this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty Mama View Post
    yes but the sugar, butter and chocolate which hold it all together are the delicuous bit!;P
    I definitely agree, I'm going to make lactation cupcakes for the freezer this week as well, but. They aren't very 'healthy' with all the sugar, butter and chocolate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Here is the cookie recipe in case anyone can't find it.

Lactation Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine
    1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
    4 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (can be found at any local health food store)
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    1 cup or more chocolate chips/sultanas/almonds/macadamia nuts (whatever takes your fancy)
    2-4 tablespoons of brewers yeast (be generous)

Preparation time is around 15 minutes.
    Preheat the oven to 180C.

1) Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.

2) Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well.

3) Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended.

4) Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips.

5) Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips.

6) Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment. Because the dough is a little crumbly, it might be easier if you use a scoop.

Bake 10-12 mins depending in size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel0v3d View Post
    Here is the cookie recipe in case anyone can't find it.

Lactation Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine
    1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
    4 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (can be found at any local health food store)
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    1 cup or more chocolate chips/sultanas/almonds/macadamia nuts (whatever takes your fancy)
    2-4 tablespoons of brewers yeast (be generous)

Preparation time is around 15 minutes.
    Preheat the oven to 180C.

1) Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.

2) Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well.

3) Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended.

4) Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips.

5) Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips.

6) Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment. Because the dough is a little crumbly, it might be easier if you use a scoop.

Bake 10-12 mins depending in size.

Thanks so much for the recipe!!