+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lactation boosting cookies... Before birth??

Hi all,

I have made my first batch of cookies yesterday and have started munching on them already. Thing is I'm only 21wks UTD.

Quick background:

During my first pg I had absolutely no milk production what's so ever, then when DD was born I had VERY limited supply and long story short DD is FF.

So after thinking to myself 'why not' i made a batch yesterday arvo. Then at about 9pm I noticed my b00bies were a bit bigger and fuller, as did DH lol.

Then this morning is was actually able to express a tiny amount of clear fluid!!!! :O

So I was just wondering if anyone else out there has started to 'prepare' for feeding their bubbas by eating these cookies or anything else???

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a good idea... Pre making lactation cookies I mean. I'm not sure I'd be keen to eat them just yet, but to have them and freeze them would save my sanity!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have often wondered about this. I have a blood condition and with my son I went into labour naturally, but they lost DS heart beat and I had an emergency c-section. I had a huge bleed and my milk never came in.

I really want to give breast feeding a go this time around and have wondered if something like this might help.

BTW I am now 20 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Missie, I understand the colostrum bit, but that's not really what I'm worried about.
    More worried about the amount of milk overall.
    I never really got any, so just hoping that this pre-empts a supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a great idea, even just to freeze them, can I have your recipe?

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimnus View Post
    I have often wondered about this. I have a blood condition and with my son I went into labour naturally, but they lost DS heart beat and I had an emergency c-section. I had a huge bleed and my milk never came in.

I really want to give breast feeding a go this time around and have wondered if something like this might help.

BTW I am now 20 weeks.
    I had a big blood loss after DD was born (2.5 litres lost). Apparently your body goes into shock when this happens and it concentrates on making blood rather than milk. It happened to me and for 48 hours post birth even the midwives couldn't express any milk, not even one drop.

What we did was give DD a little bit of formula so that she wasn't ravenous and distressed, then put her to my breast to just stimulate it. Then after that she got a little bit more formula, enough to settle her and then she'd sleep for 2 - 3 hours and that process repeated.

I was disappointed to have to use formula, but I wasn't going to sit back and watch her starve. They said that due to the blood loss it could take up to 6 days for my milk to come in. Luckily though, on the third night my body finally got the memo that it needed to make some milk and DD actually started getting a bit of colostrum and then milk from me.

I was able to gradually reduce the amount of formula, and by the time I left hospital on day 3, DD was fully breastfed. And at nearly 7 months she is still fully breastfed.

I believe that by giving the formula and not letting her get distressed and starved, she was able to transition into breastfeeding much more easily. I have no regrets about doing that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my story in case it helps others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    What a great idea, even just to freeze them, can I have your recipe?

Sent from my Racer using BubHub
    I'm on my phone so can't put te link on, but if you go to the breast feeding section of the forum it's in the sticky section

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do it. I don't know if it boosts milk supply prior to your milk coming in but those suckers are delicious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a batch in the freezer ready for DH to cook a few and bring them to me in hospital. Have a look into fenugreek tea or tablets as the help with supply as well.

The active ingredients in the cookies are;
    Linseed meal
    Brewers yeast
    Oats

So add these to your daily diet and it should hopefully help boost your supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes but the sugar, butter and chocolate which hold it all together are the delicuous bit!;P