User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New job - when to start TTC?

Hi all,

I've been at my new job for 2 months (started beginning March) and before I got this new job we had planned on starting to try for a baby the middle of this year.

Now that I have a new job, I would like to be at my job for at least 12 months before taking maternity leave (the company allows maternity for staff who have been working continually for 12 months), so I'm thinking if we start trying around August/September and IF we were lucky enough to get pregnant straight away that would make us due around May/June next year which would mean I have been at my job for 14-15 months.

My questions is, although I would be entitled to maternity leave if we did get pregnant Aug/Sep this year, is it right/moral to take maternity leave just over a year after you have been at your job?

Anyone who has been in similar situations and has some advice and recommendations, it would be really helpful Who knows, it may take us a while to get pregnant, I guess we just have to be prepared in case it does happen straight away.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's fine to take maternity leave as soon as you're eligible. People at my work do it all the time. It's important to think of yourself and there is no point in putting putting it off.

Most couples concieve within the first three months of trying - good luck!
    Me 30 DH 30http://littlepleasures.blog.com/
    IVF 1 - no embryos, IVF 2 = BFN, IVF 3 - = BFN
    2012 The journey with 'my' eggs is over...
    IVF 4 - Donor eggs = BFP and two embies
    Our gorgeous little girl is finally here - never thought I could love someone as much as this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in the exact same dilemma. DF had a vasectomy reversal and just as we were about to start TTC I was offered permanent. With the option of maternity leave after 12 we then decided to hold off until I would be eligible. We are now in our second month of trying.

I don't feel bad about the length of time at my work as I think over 12 months to start with is a fair amount of time.

Good luck :-)
    Me 31 - DH 46
    my precious baby boy born 16/6/13

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also in a similar boat, however I haven't started yet.
    Background - I've been with the same company for over 6 years ( so well and truly past the 12month mark). And did a 15month stint in another department (ironically covering maternity leave). Well I don't want to toot my own horn but I did such a great job that I have been advised another permanent position is coming up soon and I should apply.
    I told my (hopefully new) supervisor that we are planning a family at the end of the year and I will feel bad.
    His response- don't be silly by the time you go on leave you would have been with us for over 12 months. ( the he joked about me working from home a few hours after delivery ha ha).

Thanks
    Reviews
    They give you the right to take it from the day after you have been there for 12 months, so no qualms as to whether it is right. As for moral, well I think there are worse things you could do in a job than take maternity leave when you are eligible to take it.

I know it is hard to decide when is the "best" (notice I didn't say right) time to start TTC as I have put it off this year because of a number of reasons that added up to it not being a good time. But I don't think you should put it off just because people at work may not like it very much. Go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies; I guess they wouldnt offer maternity leave after 12 months if they didnt want you to be able to take it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CD84 View Post
    I guess we just have to be prepared in case it does happen straight away.
    Now you are talking sense a job is not a reason to put of TTC or really bad excuse to end up with ivf because other things came first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CD84 View Post
    Thank you for the replies; I guess they wouldnt offer maternity leave after 12 months if they didnt want you to be able to take it
    Well it is the law too remember although many employers do offer paid leave on top of the time off.

Also, the 12 months service is 12 months from your first day until your child's EDD so you could actually start your leave a bit before you have been there 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    Now you are talking sense a job is not a reason to put of TTC or really bad excuse to end up with ivf because other things came first
    I think waiting for paid maternity leave is a fine reason to postpone TTC, it's sensible to take advantage of offered financial incentives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I think waiting for paid maternity leave is a fine reason to postpone TTC, it's sensible to take advantage of offered financial incentives.
    Yes sometimes but the cost of ivf when you are older and maybe have other issues just does not match rounds of ivf, its all a case my case basis