User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, actually getting my teeth into the historical reasons, the psychological reasons and the biological reasons of why we still have elements of a patriachy, why it existed in the first place etc. It's really interesting!

Sorry. History buff here!

If I correctly have it, all you ladies are really wanting the world to be egalitarian - equal rights for all. Apparently, if you go back 6000 years or so the world was that way! And even in (comparatively) more recent times, the ancient Egyptians had a much more egalitarian view of the world. In our modern world, you can blame the Greeks a fair bit for the spread of patriarchy. Greeks hey! If they aren't bankrupting the world they're spreading male rule!

Technically, Patriarchy is "the rule of the Father," so it actually more refers to the power of older men over women, younger men and children. Of course, younger men in this society can inherit that same power in time. Apparently, those who are raised outside of the normal patriarchal family unit, like myself, rebel more strongly against it.

I'm all curious now. Why, after 6000 years, has it only been this last century that society has started to change? Need to do more research!
    Offering unwanted male perspective since 2011.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Younger men still have more power than women.
    He who laughs last probably didn't get the joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    I'm all curious now. Why, after 6000 years, has it only been this last century that society has started to change? Need to do more research!
    Maybe the contraceptive pill has been a factor? I'm interested too.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The fall of organized religion.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

delirium  (03-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Clemtine Ford should also write an article on how misogynist identify themselves

I was involved with a not for profit men's support group for a long time when I worked in a local credit union. Very few of those men spouted the misogynistic claptrap I frequently read on Bubhub in a few selected posts. I wonder why some people become so bitter and twisted and continue to widen the gulf between the men and women? It is ultimately to everyone's benefit for women to be treated equally. I am proud that none of the wonderful men in my life subscribe to misogynist P'sOV.
    "Free speech does not give you a free pass to say incorrect things and not be criticised for it."

Rosemary Johnson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ive gone 10 rounds with a man saying crap like MEN invented things like the pill, washing machines etc to make womens life easier etc etc MEN let women have control over family finances etc.. ... Etc etc... So quit complaining MEN have GIVEN us equality. Bahahaha. Oh dear.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tough Love - I understand that you want to support men's rights - and I really do think that's great. I think there should be someone standing up for men's rights, just as there should be someone standing up for women's rights.

But I don't think one should be at the expense of another. I don't think that fighting for equality for women should come at the cost of men. I also don't think that fighting for men's rights should come at the cost of women.

I understand that you believe that in the fight for women's rights we are disadvantaging men, and I respect that's your opinion.

However, surely that doesn't mean that ALL fights for equality are bad? Can't we say that men and women can be equal (and by that I don't mean identical - I mean equal), and let's aim for a society where neither are disadvantaged?

It just comes across as if you're saying "Well, some animal rights campaigners set fire to labs. I think that's wrong. All animal rights campaigning is therefore wrong."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (03-05-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Maybe the contraceptive pill has been a factor? I'm interested too.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub
    Well, I have a theory. So, they reckon that the break down of the "traditional" family unit - ie bread-winning dad, SAHM and the 2.3 kids - leads to more people not accepting the status quo? Now, considering we had the two world wars which led to whole generations of men being wiped off the face of the earth, two things arose from that. 1: Women were put into typically "male" jobs out of sheer necessity and 2: there were heaps of non-standard families. See, I'm a man raised soley by a woman with no male influence and I think it's only logical and fair that we should have equal rights. I struggle to comprehend why we wouldn't. So perhaps that all has a role to play in it.

I love trying to figure this stuff out! Sorry if I've derailed a bit!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (03-05-2012),Guest654  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Diamond Star - 20,000 postsTopaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it's about the modern advent of human rights. First the civil war fighting against slavery, child labour laws, and women's rights. As we've become more civilised and our standard of living has increased, things have shifted from dealing with starvation and armies constantly invading to the more social issues in the first world. It's just been a progression as we have become more advanced and civilised.

Then as you say the world wars has brought women in the fore of decision making and tasks outside the home. Suddenly women realised they COULD work, were smart enough to be university educated and with the progression of human rights society has slowly gone with it.
    My 2 munchkins
    1 Nov '11 11 July '12 20 Oct 2013 Much loved and never forgotten

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's ironic and sobering that the slaughter of so many people in those two wars is what it took for us to open our eyes...

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-05-2012),Busy-Bee  (03-05-2012),delirium  (03-05-2012),Gandalf  (03-05-2012)