+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do any hubbers have....

....pet bengal cats?

If so do they do much damage to your house/belongings?

How do they cope when you bring home your first baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend bought one a while ago and it was quite nasty with her two children. It also damaged her home. She ended up returning it to the breeder.

I'm sure they aren't all that bad, but it might pay to talk to some breeders and do some research first.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't recommend them with children. I don't have one, but a single male friend does and it is the perfect pet for him, but they aren't cuddly, timid little things.

A ragdoll would be the perfect cat with kids!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    why not go to your local cat rescue/animal shelter and save a life?

bengals are the closest domestic cats to wild cats in terms of breeding and dna. they are HORRIFIC to australian wildlife - bandicoots, possums, native mice, birds.......there was actually a lobby to ban their import before they arrived in australia for this reason.

if you want a cat, look online at www.petrescue.com.au
    it gives photos of all cats and kittens at various shelters across each state/territory in australia.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

angelini  (01-05-2012),Misschief  (01-05-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Eek i just googled them!

After three generations from the original crossing, the breed usually acquires a gentle domestic cat temperament;[1] however, for the typical pet owner, a Bengal cat kept as a pet should be at least four generations (F4) removed from the Leopard Cat. The so-called "foundation cats" from the first three filial generations of breeding (F1–F3) are usually reserved for breeding purposes or the specialty pet home environment.[8]

I find it a bit scary tbh! Way too close to being a wild aggressive leopard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    why not go to your local cat rescue/animal shelter and save a life?

bengals are the closest domestic cats to wild cats in terms of breeding and dna. they are HORRIFIC to australian wildlife - bandicoots, possums, native mice, birds.......there was actually a lobby to ban their import before they arrived in australia for this reason.

if you want a cat, look online at www.petrescue.com.au
    it gives photos of all cats and kittens at various shelters across each state/territory in australia.
    You pay a fortune for a Bengal, I dont know many people who pay a fortune then let the animal roam wild?

They pose a serious risk to native wildlife due to their genetic make up but any cat can be bad that for wildlife if left to roam.

Op Bengals are gorgeous and their nature and temperament is highly influenced by what generation they are in their line, they ate not an easy cat to care for as they are high energy animals who require large spaces and regular exercise and stimulation, they do hold heritage closely with wildcats but like any cat their temperament is also determined by the individual cat and the environment it is raised in not just its genetics.

As pp have said if you're looking for a snuggly child friendly cat then a ragdoll would be a better choice,

You could also consider the Australian mist, similar breed patterns but they grow smaller and are alot more domesticated.

Eta - ocicat not australian mist, got the breed mixed up.

I would love an ocicat, Bengal, australian mist and I would dearly love a toyger
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by GuestMember; 01-05-2012 at 19:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't agree more about a ragdoll. We have one and he is the best cat ever. He is all floppy when picked up and so cuddly and just lazes about all day!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to relle For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (02-05-2012)