+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    UHT is also sweeter than fresh milk. I don't know why though. Maybe the preservatives....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    UHT is also sweeter than fresh milk. I don't know why though. Maybe the preservatives....
    Well it's not the preservatives! The pasteurisation (is that a word?) at an ultra high temperature and also the special packaging gives it the long life... doesn't contain additives or preservatives.

I'm not being a smart-bottom or anything, just wanted you to know you can feel guilt-free about this drink as it has no nasties and all the nutritional value of fresh milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayatatime View Post
    Well it's not the preservatives! The pasteurisation (is that a word?) at an ultra high temperature and also the special packaging gives it the long life... doesn't contain additives or preservatives.

I'm not being a smart-bottom or anything, just wanted you to know you can feel guilt-free about this drink as it has no nasties and all the nutritional value of fresh milk.
    I wasn't guilt tripping though. I didn't know people felt guilty for drinking UHT??? I have UHT in my coffee, something I grew up with in Europe. Cant say I have ever felt guilty about it having preservatives or not. Everything else I eat and drink has them and I dont feel guilty about that either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the tips. I'll try them all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It was just an expression I was using - I didn't mean to imply you had actual guilt issues over food or drink containing preservatives.

I suppose a lot of folks including myself do try to avoid foods with preservatives for their families if there was a better alternative. (What I mean by this for example, is that if you had the choice between fresh milk and a milk containing preservatives, then many people would opt for the fresh milk instead)

I was keen to clarify to anyone reading this thread that UHT doesn't contain preservatives because some might dismiss the use of UHT because of it otherwise.

The written word can be so easily misinterpreted. In no way was I having a go at you or making any assumptions about your personality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When living in Europe, we lived next to a bakery and a dairy shop. Fresh hot preservative free bread and fresh preservative free milk every morning.
    THAT was the life. I miss it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by boyznberry View Post
    Sajimum how many times a day was she breastfeeding when you went back to uni? I suppose with it right here on tap he knows he doesn't have to drink anything else. Maybe when he goes to daycare he will just learn to deal with it. The oat milk wasn't spat out so maybe that might be the go!
    From memory she was feeding about 5 times over a 24 hour period - 4 during the day and 1 overnight. When I went back to uni I fed her first thing in the morning, then she missed her midday feed, then I would pick her up late afternoon and feed her around 4pm (which was later than she would feed at home, but it didn't seem to bother her). Then I was there for her bedtime feed and one during the night. After me stressing so much prior to starting back at uni it really turned into a non-issue in that regard. And as I said, she still doesn't really like milk. By the sounds of all the other advice you've received there is a few options out there if you want to try alternatives to cows milk. We just never went down that route. Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Skip the cows milk as a drink, and just give him food high in calcium.

Cheese, sesame seed foods, Yoghurt, Almonds, green leafy vegies and fresh oranges for example

Milk is actually a food, your child might be thirsty and want water. Cows milk might make him feel ill, he might not like the phlegm build up etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 2 and never drank cows milk he hates it. He asks for milk every morning so I give him toddler formula once a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my DD's have been exactly the same.

DD2 started daycare 2 or 3 days per week when she was 13 mths old. Wouldn't drink out of any form of cup.

As she was getting plenty of breastmilk overnight and on the days that she was at home with me, I wasn't too worried about it. I just made sure that I sent plenty of cheese, yoghurt, etc in her lunchbox. I also packed those small UHT popper milks and a little dinky straw cup.

The daycare offered her a small drink of these at lunch and now at 18 mths will drink roughly 50 to 100 mls at day for them.

She still won't drink milk for me, but I am happy to know that at nealy 19 mths, if I have to leave her she is having a varied diet and will drink a little milk. It has taken time but we are getting there.

It was pretty much the same story for DD1 (3 yrs), who now loves her milk (but only the Dairy Farmers White Lite or the UHT Skim poppers), won't drink full cream, calls it babies milk. She self weaned at 26 mths, when one day she decided she wasn't a baby anymore.