+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DS won't drink milk

Im am currently trying to wean my 12 month old however he has never accepted a bottle and drinks only a small amount if water from a sippy cup.

If I put formula or cows milk in a bottle or sippy cup he just spits it out and gets mad and pushes the bottle away. My dr has said to make food with lots of milk to make sure he's getting his calcium but he gets a lot of comfort from breastfeeding so going from that to absolutely nothing would be extremely hard for him.

Has anyone had a difficult time weaning their bubs and has anyone had a baby who won't drink any other milks? How did you over come this? I'm happy to continue morning feeds and night feeds (or should I say all night feeds!) for as long as he wants but I need to get him prepared for going to daycare when I return to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried other types of milk? Mine liked oat milk as a one year old...
    You could also take him to the shops with you to pick his own cup. I found that my breastfed babies much preferred the straw type cups over the sippy style (I think because bottle-fed babies are more used to tipping it up and breastfed are more used to sucking it out??)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or would he take expressed milk from a cup?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks laksa! I'll try the oat milk in the straw cup. Last time I tried expressing he didn't drink it and I don't get very much when I express anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was brrastfed and never really drank milk out of a cup/bottle. I went back to uni when she was11mths and expressed milk to put into a sippy cup for her. She occasionally drank a little at daycare, but not often. She was breastfed morning, evening and through the night so didnt seem toMind missing one during the day. She would just eat extra solids. Even now she is 2 she wont drink milk by itself. She has milk on cereal in the morning, and other dairy such as yoghurt and cheese. I never saw it as a big deal to be honest - could your little one get serves of dairy through other sources?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually, saying it wasnt a big deal to me isnt really true - i think i posted a stressed out thread here before returning to uni as she wouldnt drink milk out of a bottle and i didnt know what to do! So i understand your concern. I guess that since then i have come to realise that she just doesnt like milk much and that that doesnt matter if she is getting her dietary requirements from other sources.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sajimum how many times a day was she breastfeeding when you went back to uni? I suppose with it right here on tap he knows he doesn't have to drink anything else. Maybe when he goes to daycare he will just learn to deal with it. The oat milk wasn't spat out so maybe that might be the go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breastmilk is a loooooot sweeter than cows milk. When being tested for lactose intolerance, I had to drink lactose free milk. It was incredibly sweet.
    So when 2 of my friends had troubles weaning their bubs off the breast and getting them to drink milk, I suggested lactose free milk to both of them. Worth a try.
    It was a success with both bubbas. After a few days they started mixing normal cows milk with the lactose free milk and after a bit more than a week, they were drinking 100% cows milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My fussy dd actually really likes the Devondale long life milk that you can buy in little popper packs that have straws. (6 to a pack). It's the novelty of the packaging I'm sure. I started buying these once when out and about and I needed milk for her that wasn't really cold straight from the fridge. We call them 'baby milks'. Very convenient for taking as part of a packed lunch I must say as they don't need a fridge or coldy bag.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

LollyDolly  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayatatime View Post
    My fussy dd actually really likes the Devondale long life milk that you can buy in little popper packs that have straws. (6 to a pack). It's the novelty of the packaging I'm sure. I started buying these once when out and about and I needed milk for her that wasn't really cold straight from the fridge. We call them 'baby milks'. Very convenient for taking as part of a packed lunch I must say as they don't need a fridge or coldy bag.
    Ditto here. very popular with DD.