+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He's always had a lot more sleep than other kids his age, but never this much. Though I do agree he's worse if he's been woken for the morn, but when he wakes up of his own accord he still needs to be asleep by 10.

Ill let you know how it goes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

share a book  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A friend's little girl used to sleep like that at that age. Boggled my mind!

She and her mum stayed with us and she would wake up around 7am, go back down at 9:30, sleep until midday, have lunch and a play and then back down around 2:30 for another three hours and in bed by7pm!

It didn't seem usual to me but I had a non-sleeper so figured she was just the other extreme.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What's his diet like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    Is this a sudden change in needing more sleep? If hes getting woken it might explain his first sleep, my DS HATES being woken up!

My DS had 18months was sleeping for about 3-4hours a day. So on average 2 x 2 hour naps. At 21 months he now sleeps for 1 x 2.5-3hour nap (at home) at daycare its only 1.5hours.

DS didnt go in bursts though, he'd be full on, get cranky for his sleep, have his sleep and then once he was awake would be full on again so there was no peaks and troughs of unhappiness just go go go, right now I need my sleep.

Edit: he has always slept from 7 til 7 also.
    This was EXACTLY my DS at this age too. Lots of sleep during the day, but when he was awake he was alert and (more or less) happy.

I don't think the amount he is sleeping is of concern, but the fact that he is tired/grizzly/lethargic between sleeps is probably worth them looking into.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    What's his diet like?
    Plenty of fresh fruit and veg and I cook everything from scratch for them including snacks etc.

Nothing I can think of that's out of the ordinary but I only have him 3 days a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there- my son was also like this, and it turned out that he had sleep apnea. He didn't snore in the traditional sense, so we didn't think to get that checked. He was tired all the time, he just used to sit and stare and suck his thumb all day.

does the child snore? my son used to breathe sooooo heavy while he was asleep- it was like darth vader in the mask lol. And he drooled A LOT when he was awake because he couldnt breathe properly (tonsils too big!)

My son was diagnosed around 3 tho, so he was older than the child you care for (tonsils/adenoids out at 3 1/2= changed child) have a listen when he sleeps.

NOT trying to cause mass hysteria lol. just relating our experience! He could just be one of those kids that needs a lot of sleep

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alexsmom For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS was like this too and like alexsmom he had sleep apnea he had his tonsils and adenoids out at 27 months and thing were so much better after that was awake more and more alert when he was awake. And heaps happier too 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    If this is not his norm, I would mention it. If this is his norm, just mention that dropping to 1 day sleep is not working, and say that he doesn't cope like that with you then ask how it's going at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah doesn't sound normal, did you en up speaking to his parents at all ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I'd be wondering about sleep apnoea too. Does he snore or sort of stop breathing for short periods while sleeping? If he does he may have hude adenoids/tonsils interfering with his sleep.

If he's growing along percentiles and achieving milestones etc I personally wouldn't be too worried about a serious chronic health issue.