+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default REALLY tired?

Hey,

I'm starting to worry about one of the little boys I look after. He's 18 m.o. and sleeps so much and when he's not sleeping, he's awake but looking exhausted.

His parents wake him at 7 so he can get dropped to me and the other boy I look after. By 9 he's exhausted and will grizzle and lie on the couch with me or go to sleep if I put him to bed then. He will sleep for at least 3 hours. I can't hold him out past 10, so he's usually in bed by 9:30/10.

Then when he wakes up, he has lunch, plays for a bit and same deal - 2 hours after waking, he's grizzling, only wants to be carried and if I put him in his cot, he'll fall asleep. For 2 or 3 hours.

And then he goes to bed at 7.

I'm really worried there's something up, surely needing that much sleep isn't right? I want to tell his parents my concerns, but only if they are actual concerns...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    To me that does sound like an excessive amount of sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DS used to like a fair bit of sleep - not that much though, as did I as a child wheras my brother could live off next to none. All kids have different needs.

Although, I was thinking my DS slept a lot because he was SO active during the day and he'd wear himself out. Which doesn't sound like the case here

Are the parents approachable with things like this? I think I'd mention it TBH.. whether they are aware or not...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would definitely mention it. There could be many reasons for it but he needs to go and get checked out. The kids that I know who have all been like that have ended up being diagnosed with cealiac's disease. I'm not saying it is that, but I know a few kids with cealiac's and their parents say that their kids just slept all the time, and when they were awake they were tired, lay around, and weren't active at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps you could just casually mention it, say 'He really enjoys his sleep doesn't he' or something like that and take it from there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I think I will say something.

He is active in ten minute bursts then melts down and wants to be cuddled. It also means I spend less time with the other boy I look after as he's always attached to me. Thank god for the Ergo, but I am worried there's something wrong - some kind of deficiency or an underactive gland somewhere!

They're quite approachable but when I do comment on the amount he sleeps they just nod and say how all the other mums are jealous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah, it sounds like you need to say something and be very clear about it then that you think he's sleeping too much and have they seen a doctor? If he's with you a lot during the day they may think that when he does the same thing on the weekend with them he's just worn out from family day care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have him 3 days a week from 8-5:30. They asked me to drop him to one day sleep but there's no way either of us will cope with that. Will mention to his mum tonight.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So does that mean she is trying to drop him to one sleep at home? You could open the conversation by asking how well/badly that is going, then say you don't think he is coping too well with it when he is with you, and in your professional opinion a child his age should be sleeping x amount of hours during the day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is this a sudden change in needing more sleep? If hes getting woken it might explain his first sleep, my DS HATES being woken up!

My DS had 18months was sleeping for about 3-4hours a day. So on average 2 x 2 hour naps. At 21 months he now sleeps for 1 x 2.5-3hour nap (at home) at daycare its only 1.5hours.

DS didnt go in bursts though, he'd be full on, get cranky for his sleep, have his sleep and then once he was awake would be full on again so there was no peaks and troughs of unhappiness just go go go, right now I need my sleep.

Edit: he has always slept from 7 til 7 also.