+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Formula Confusion

I'm SO CONFUSED about 9 week old DS formula feeding. Currently he's on 150mls of Karicare formula 6 times a day, which is already over the recommendation for his age and weight. Now he wants to feed every 2.5 - 3 hours but still drinking the whole 250mls.

I bought SMA formula last night to see if he'll last longer than the 2.5 - 3 hours he was Karicare as I was beginning to worry about him putting on too much weight. But again he only got to 3 hours this morning on the SMA.

I got him weighed and measured this morning and the baby nurse said she wouldn't use SMA and that she would stay with the Karicare and feed every 3 hours with the hope of feeding him more during the day will get him to drop a feed at night, meaning he'd be having the right amount.

What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried him with a bit of water?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would just keep on feeding him the karicare whenever he's hungry.

What is on the tin is only a recommendation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS always drank way more then was recomended from the very start he was having bottles every 4hrs and like almost twice the amount he was suppose to have, when i took him to get weighed the nurses use to try telling me to cut his milk back or he will end up overweight so i tried but he was very unsettled and starving hungry so i put his bottles back up then he went back to being happy, i wouldn't worry about what they say i would feed him as much as he likes i think it would be worse to starve him from how much he needs. My DS is now 21 months and is not overweight at all. And i even started him on solids from just after 3months as he was still starving and turned out to be the best decision for him. You need to do what you think is right

Thanks
    Reviews
    He may just be having a growth spurt. I would feed him when he is hungry as the amounts on the tin are only recommendations.

Does he bring up much after a feed? If not, then he isn't getting too much and is just a hungry baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always fed my babies every 3 hrs that's usually when they were ready for there next bottle I wouldn't worry to much ds3 was a massive eater he is nearly 12 months and not overweight at all do what make him content.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my son was like this, i ended up changing to Novalac Sweet Dreams, and it was much much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS always fed more than what the tin said as a pp said its only a reccomendation There could also be other reasons like he might be going through a growth spurt or wonder week.

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    my baby girl is now 6 months and still feeds every 3 hours. if he is happy and healthy, i wouldn't worry about it.
    formula tins are only a guide (she is now meant to have 4 feeds of 240ml but still wants 5-6 of 150ml) so i just follow her lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't take any notice of what the tin says. Child health nurse said that you should calculate it as 150ml for very kilo they weigh and then divide that over the amount of bottles they have. This worked well for my dd and I'm using the same method for ds. So for example ds weighs 4kg and has 6 bottles over a 24 hr period, so feeds every 4 hrs. 4 x 150ml = 600, so that's 6 bottles of 100ml. Once you add the formula it's actually nearer 120ml. I also give ds sips of water, to help with constipation, in between. I did this with dd too, and think it may have helped as now she will only drink water, and has never even tried, or wanted to try, juice or cordial.