+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default i have nipple thrush........AGAIN..advice please.

hi

i suspect i have nipple thrush yet again..i had it chronically with DS.....last 24 hrs the attachment has gotten so painful on L boob that i have to bite on something when DD attaches and the pain makes me cry. the boob looks pinkish/ shiny. i had a grazed nipple and assumed it was just poor attachment but suddenly the pain got massively worse and the boob just doesnt feel right..its got that thrushy feel to it. im totally gutted as i just couldnt get rid of it with DS. i have started putting daktarin oral gel on my bbs and will get bub some nilstat drops and get myself some diflucan...the tablets helped last time. god the pain is awfulllllllllllllllll right now...i have a pump coming today and im gagging for it, im seeing a LC today as well thank god.

how long will the pain last for if i start all these treatments today? any other tips? last time i did vinegar rinses / canestan for the laundry etc..........the inconvenince i can handle, the pain i cant.....i was dreaming of giving her a bottle of formula top up last night rather than subject myself to the pain.....i said i would FF if i got chronic thrush again but i want to BF.....and enjoy ffs!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found inner health plus helped keep it at bay.
    Hope it clears quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried contacting the la leche league?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to hear this, It sounds as though you're covering all bases in terms of treatment. Make sure you have (if you haven't already) seperate towels for drying your breasts and your body etc.

Make sure you check with the Pharmacist as to whether you can have Diflucan when you're breastfeeding though, as I'm not sure you can? Though, I could be wrong.

Great advice from cindye Inner health plus is awesome for yeast related infections etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks i will try to contact that le leche? not sure what it is?

i know the packaging says u shouldnt take diflucan while bf but i did for DS and know others who took it as well for chronic thrush.

im going to chemist on way to LC to get some inner health plus.

i havent been using serparate towels..i forgot. thanks. also should i be using a anti fungal cream on bubs at nappy change just in case? i know thrush can spread like wildfire..............

has anyone ever used that gentian violet? not that i would use that yet.....just paranoid as the infection i had last time was so resistant to treatment although i never had the pain this bad....last time i realised i had it when i kept getting "white nipples" after a feed and pain in betwenn feeds plus the pink shiny nipples.

DD will be waking soon....better get my plastic mouth biter ready in anticipation of the pain.........im so DEVO.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I found daktarin oral gel worked much better than anything else (on advice from other hubbers). You just put some on your nipple and let bubs feed. It says that it's from 6 months up but that's to avoid a choking hazard for little babies but you don't actually give it to them directly, bubs just sucks it off your boob. I got a little bit of instant relief with this stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you sure it's thrush? Does baby have thrush in the mouth?
    I only ask because vasospasm has the same symptoms. My nipples also go white and shiny pink and also look grazed and bruised when they actually aren't.
    Just wanted to put it out there as I tried every thrush treatment before realizing it wasn't thrush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it bad this time and recurring for about 5 weeks. I too did everything you have said. The LC also told me run the hot tap through the bra cup before washing, I would then soak in napisan before the wash. Also putting your nipple in the sun works really well. Even through a window but it did wonders for clearing it up too. The thing that did finally get rid of it was using the thrush cream for 'down there' - not the edible gel. Just whilst chatting waiting for them to get me more gel, I complained about it recurring and they (chemist girls) commented on how most people use the cream as the gel is very sugary and can 'feed' the thrush. You just need to wipe it off before you feed. My GP also told me not to take diflucan but I had been in so much pain i had to do it. It worked, but it came back. Once I used the cream, it was gone almost immediately - within a day or two. I then continued it for another three days I think, also treating bub with the oral gel and... YAY ITS GONE Wooohooo. I feel for you it is so bad when it keeps coming back. Try the cream - hope it works for you too.
    Last edited by Little_P; 01-05-2012 at 22:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also wanted to add that I tried really really hard to avoid anything sugary as when you have a candida issue, it's best to avoid it. You can google candida diets but you may have already looked at this if you've suffered in the past. HTH

In My Stride is offline 3 babies, 2 businesses, 1 husband & a partridge in a pear tree
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Are you sure it's thrush? Does baby have thrush in the mouth?
    I only ask because vasospasm has the same symptoms. My nipples also go white and shiny pink and also look grazed and bruised when they actually aren't.
    Just wanted to put it out there as I tried every thrush treatment before realizing it wasn't thrush.
    Was thinking the same. If it is thrush, I found using disposable breast pads & changing them frequently helped as did leaving Boobs 'out to dry' completely after feeds, hope you get some relief soon xx