+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby no longer attaching properly

Just hoping i can get some advice... Maybe some reassurance too.

Bub is 10 days old now, from the beginning he was an awesome feeder, attached by himself perfectly every time. The last two days though, he has stopped attaching properly. He kinda stuffs around, sucking the nipple but not attaching, latching then pulling off, then he seems to get frustrated at it. He does eventually latch on but it takes ages and by then my milk has dribbled all over his face, my tummy and both of our clothes!

I feel worried that its my fault this has happened - I gave him a dummy on day 2 and have continued to give it to him when he needs to suck to settle. He was fine for days after introducing the dummy though, so I don't get why its suddenly an issue now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How is your let down and / or supply?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky2006 View Post
    How is your let down and / or supply?
    Um I'm not really sure, and I don't know how I would know? I have nothing/nobody to compare it to. Once he is latched properly he has no problem feeding.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alphabetsoup For This Useful Post:

laurea  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you feel like you have too much milk? Does it spray everywhere when he pulls off? Sometimes that makes them very unsettle at the beginning of a feed as well as they are trying to avoid the letdown.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky2006 View Post
    Do you feel like you have too much milk? Does it spray everywhere when he pulls off? Sometimes that makes them very unsettle at the beginning of a feed as well as they are trying to avoid the letdown.
    There's no spraying, but it does dribble when he first tries to latch on and also when he comes off. I don't know about too much milk, I do always feel "full". Maybe I could try to express a little before the next feed and see if that helps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, try that and just see how he reacts. I had to do this for a while and also stopped feeding from both breasts but only 1 per feed so that it did settle all down a bit which made mine much more settled as well. Also I found if I didnt express a bit before each feed my nipples were really hard for him to latch on, expressing a bit made them much softer and easier to suck on.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicky2006 For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (01-05-2012),laurea  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the exact same problem with my baby in the past. Thankfully i had a lactation consultatnt handy when it started. She put a nipple sheild on me and baby attached pretty easily after that! I have never used or seen one before then but it did the trick for us.
    A
    nother thing is that if baby is getting frustrated while you are trying to attach him or her they may get so upset that feeding becomes even harder while they wait for the milk to let down. For that i would express some milk before a fed and have some handy for them to drink with a small cup (if you dont want to confuse bubs more by topping up with a bottle).
    That will just take the edge of babys hunger so you can try to attach baby when he/she is a tad less ravenous.

I hope this helps! Good luck. Let us know how you go?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to laurea For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    also the dummy sucking action is different to the boob so maybe your bub is getting confused... he thinks its a dummy but then milk appears.

if you have heaps of milk and the let down is freaking him out, try reclining back and have bub on top of you. that way he works the milk out vs it falling on him. Or feed him lying down on your side.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the suggestions I expressed before feeding earlier, he still took about 10mins to latch but got there in the end. The next feed he had no issues at all, only thing I did differently was change his angle so his feet were lower than his head if that makes sense? Not sure if its a coincidence or not but I guess I will just keep experimenting and trying all of your suggestions.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alphabetsoup For This Useful Post:

laurea  (07-05-2012),Nicky2006  (01-05-2012)