+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can it be done - working with a combo of breastfeeding and formula

Hello hello,

I am due to return to work in two months when DS will be 6 months old. I am going back three days a week and would like to keep breastfeeding. I commute to the city - 1.5 hrs each way so was thinking I could breastfeed the first and last feed of the day plus overnight feeds and use formula while I'm at work.

Do you think this can be done? And has a similar strategy worked for you? Also, I can't express at work very easily and with the commute home I don't think it is practical to carry breast milk around on the trains etc. DS has just started solids also...

Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister is doing just this successfully. Morning and night feed are breast ....during the day is formula. Id just slowly dropping one of the day feeds at a time and replacing with formula....your milk supply should adjust accordingly All the best

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

CamD  (01-05-2012)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope this works for you. My experience, I returned to work when my DD was 8 months old, part time, and I intended to BF morning and night but I found as soon as I introduced formula to the day feeds my supply dropped to the point where DD wasn't satisfied. In hindsight I wish I had of done more about it, like take some herbal supplements (Fenugreek or something (sp?) ) and perhaps pumped during the day to keep my supply up, but at the time I just went with more formula.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

CamD  (01-05-2012)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry just saw that pumping during the day isn't practical for you. Hopefully some ladies have some good info for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did this when I returned to part-time work when DD was 11 months old with no problems so it is possible. DD finally weaned when she was 3 years old.

My supply was quite settled by 11 months and quickly adjusted. I just fed DD mornings and nights the days I worked(3 days/ week) and fed on demand as normal the days I was at home. I didn't express at work.

DD was offered formula at daycare (which she would have sometimes but she often refused), otherwise she seemed happy with water, yoghurt and other solids until she came home.

You probably won't know until you try what will work for you, it will depend on your supply and your baby.

Good luck on your return to work and hope it all goes well.

ETA - jbish, don't be too hard on yourself, you did really well to feed for so long, sometimes things just don't go exactly to plan for reasons out of our control.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 01-05-2012 at 10:17.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

CamD  (01-05-2012),jbish  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses!! I'm glad to hear it may possibly work, but accept that I won't know until I try. I feel guilty about returning to work (and guilty for actually looking forward to it too!) but we don't have a lot of choice and need the second income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to be too hard on yourself. It is so hard when you return to work. Like i said my DD was 8 months old, I felt terrible and she's nearly 2 now and I still feel guilty. I enjoy working, it is nice to have some "adult" conversation, but part of me always wonders if i'm doing the right thing. The reality is, in my situation, we simply cannot live on the one wage. Godd luck with returning to work, and with breastfeeding! Be kind to yourself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 6 months now and I only work 2 days a week and I have been able to keep enough supply by extra feedings on the home days and pumping once at work (done on my break in the toilets) and just dumping because I have no where to store either. I have been able to keep up bfing for the first 5 feeds during the day then one formula bottle at the end of the day (sometimes 2 bottles if supply is low) and we do a solid once every morning

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

CamD  (12-06-2012)