+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting out with MCN's, advice needed :-)

Hi Ladies,
    I'm about to order my first lot of MCN's for my bub due in July.
    I am thinking about using Itti Bitti D'Lish SIO. I know it's more expensive to do sized nappies but it seems they fit better and I figure they should last a couple of kids so still a huge saving.
    Has anyone used the D'Lish right through? How did you find them? Did you find the smalls fit a newborn? I'm going to order small and medium to start, was thinking 12 smalls and 18 medium aiming to wash every 1-2 days plus some extra snap ins, does this sound like a good plan?
    Thanks in advance, lots to learn and I appreciate your wisdom :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If this is your first bub I would try a few brands on bub first and then decide which you like best before spending heaps. Also have some newborn disposables on hand for first few weeks. I bought expensive mcns and hated them, got some ebay cheapies and loved them. Everyone is different.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second trying a few brands and wouldn't recommend buying your whole stash of one brand just in case they don't suit your bub!

I started using prefolds from about 3 weeks then bought some eBay cheapies just to try them out nd figured I wouldn't lose much if thy we're rubbish. Turns out they really suit my bub an I'm very happy with them.

I have only used the Itti Bitti tutto and couldn't get a great fit, the sized ones would prob be better though.

Sent from my LT15i

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zzz For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i agree with trying out a few brands first. Some nappies fit better at different stages of bubs growth. The only nappies i found were consistent for my now 3yr DS were the bumgenius velcro. I've used so many brands styles etc and these were by far our failsafe nappies. I personally liked the velcro as i found it easier to get a more precise fit. Nurture nappies have some in their sale section at the moment.
    I'd recommend getting a small amount now and saving some cash to get some more later. Technically you'd think after paying a lot of money for the MCN's they'd last through 2 kids, but i found my medium and large ittis wouldn't have lasted for another child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I got a range of samples from bootycrawl for $40. I'm currently testing them out on DS.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 04-05-2012 at 17:41.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beatnik For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Head over to itti bitti now they are having a seconds sale. They've got sized and tuttos for less than half price. Hurry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never buy sized nappies for a baby I hadn't seen. Different nappies suit differently shaped babies. It's kind of like jeans. Not all size 10 jeans work on all size 10 women, because although their size is the same, their shapes are different.

This or early next month I will have a newborn and I will be using prefolds and covers on them for the first few months. They dry quickly, are cheaper and suit any size. Then I will move on to other nappies down the track.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive used MCNS from 3-4 months. i bought some OSFM and i didnt like the bulkiness. When i started he went straight into mediums and is nearing the end of the snaps on mediums now at 22 months.

I agree to buy 1 or 2 of a few brands and see what works.

At first i bought a heap of bubblebubs and bambooties. He pooed out the side of the bambooties and weed over the top of the bubblebubs.

Now he's in mediums i like itti bittis, BBH petites, Bambooties fit awesome now, and Jazzy Buts. But my man in slim and i like the slim nappy look

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly recommend BumGenius also! However I prefer the snaps as I have a few velcro ones and I've had to replace it already. It's not super hard to do though, so if u prefer velcro its not that big of a deal. I have mostly snaps with a few velcro ones for DH (men tend not to love the snaps too much). The elastic is also very easy to replace.

But I also really love the new Thirsties Duo AIO (all-in-one). They are super easy to use and to adjust, come in velcro or snaps, and are easy to add more boosters for extra absorbency. They come in size one and two, and each has rise snaps so the smaller size one will snap right down to fit a very small baby up until say 9-12 months (depending on the size of ur baby), and the size two will fit from when they grow out of the size one up until toilet training. The size two fits my 19kg two year old son, where a lot of other "one-size" nappies don't. Having the two sizes means they can fit a wider range of different sized babies with less bulk of snapped down fabric for the smaller bubs. I highly recommend them.

As others have said though, I would definitely try some different brands/styles before u commit to one. New Age Nappies also have some trial packages with different brands and things. Ooh and free shipping when u spend over $50 this weekend apparently (if u join her Facebook page she put the discount codes on there). Good luck!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pippy&Woof For This Useful Post:

Bluemoon82  (07-05-2012)