+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how many feeds?

Hi Ladies

Just wondering how many feeds does a 7month old need? At the moment DS is only having 4 BFs a day but also has 2-3 lots of solids. Is this enough? His weight is about average. Im concerned because everyone always comments on him being small for his age. He isnt a chubby baby, but compared to my niece who is 3 months younger he is small. Is he not getting enough milk?

Thansk to anyone who understands my babble. I am tired and not making much sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be comparing to other's bubs as they're all so different and grow at different rates, especially a bf bub compared to a ff bub.

In my non-medical opinion, as long as he is happy/alert between naps, has sufficient wet nappies, gaining weight (doesn't matter how much) steadily then he should be fine! The only thing I hate about breastfeeding is that you can't actually see how much they're getting. You never know, for those 4 feeds a day, he could be drinking as much as another bub who has 10 small feeds a day.

I went through a stage with my DS when I thought I wasn't bf enough, so I started offering it before and after nap times and he took it! They'll refuse to feed if they've had enough the clever little things they are

Just to add, remember 'food is fun until they're one' so breastmilk should still be his number one food source for now

I hope others have some good advice for you too! You're doing great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would like some other replies for this thread as I have the opposite problem my 8 month old has 5 breast feeds during the day and between 2-4 overnight. I feel like this is too many. He also has 3 reasonable solid feeds a day. I don't know how to cut out any of these feeds or make him have fewer but perhaps better (larger/longer) feeds. ???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD had 10 - 12 feeds /24 hours til after 12 months. If it works for you and for your baby, there is no problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my DD was having between 5-9/10 bf in 24hrs at that age. we were feeding 3hrly during the day and 2-4 times overnight.

I would only seek to change it if it was making you unhappy. For me it was easier to whip out a boob than work on giving her solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses. It is good to be reassured that he is doing the same thing in regard to feeding as others his age! Maybe it is just ff babies that seem to have only 4-5 bottles in a 24 hr period...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was fretting about a similar thing just recently - my boy is 9.5 months old, and it is only in the last fortnight that his feeds seem to have slowed down a little. Prior to that he was having 2-3hourly feeds during the day (530am-630pm) with 2 overnight (around 8 in total), then spontaneously he just slowed, now 3-4 during the day, and one or two overnight. I have no idea what changed, except that he seems to have had a little growth spurt, and then slowed.