+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i was held back (july born) so started at 5.5yrs. i felt very at home in my year group at school, sure some were a few months older and a lot were younger but i was comfortable. im glad i wasnt sent early as i dont think i would have coped as well emotionally.

DD1 is july born too so i didnt send her this year. she'll go next year and im confident she'll blitz it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Thunderstorm; 07-05-2012 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

So in Qld they have to be 5 by 30 June in the year they start prep. Given DS is a late birthday he'll be 4 1/2 when he starts prep and 17 1/2 when he finishes year 12 (however many of the kids will have already turned 18 during the school year). If I keep him home a year he'll be 5 1/2 when he starts prep & 18 1/2 when he finishes school.

I do worry about two things mentioned in other posts: yes the drinking if he turns 18 during the school year and the other thing is his size. He's already a pretty big kid for his age (around 22kg/ size 6 clothes at 3y10m).

I have his name down to go into C&K kindy program for next year just in case (in Qld they go 5 days/ fortnight during school term 3 days one week 2 the other). We're doing a school readiness playgroup through Benevolent Society already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was 18 1/2 when I finished school in nsw it was great, some qld friends were 16 I think this is far too young.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on the individual child, there isn't a blanket rule that older/younger is best.

DD started school this year at 4 and 10 months. She was ready in every way and has gone from strength to strength. Another year of kinder would have been a really bad idea for her - she would have been bored out of her brain, and with her dominant personality would probably have caused lots of trouble.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Loved being held back! My brother started at almost 5 and has had to repeat year 2 as he just wasn't as emotionally caught up with his peers. He's so much happier now.

My best friend in primary school started early and she had so many social problems throughout school because she was just that little bit behind everyone else in that respect.

And the drinking thing was not even a consideration at all - all my friend's were school friends and most of them were still 17. I had no one to drink with, even if I wanted to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    the majority of kids will turn 18 when they are in Year 12. This is a good thing...they need to make adult decisions...so it is good to be older.

I was 18 in year 12...and yes, i did go out on weekends to clubs some times....however, i still lived at home and was a child in that sense. Those that did not turn 18 at school...missed out on a lot socially in my school...and between school and uni...and during the first year of uni as we often hung out in the bar.

However, back to the beginning. My son's class has a age span of 2 years 2 months. He is now in year2...and 2 boys turned 8 in Jan...and one turned 6 right on cut off. There is a massive difference in their behaviour...and ability. There is also a massive size difference...but the oldest kid is not the biggest.

My son just missed cut off (may birthday) and i would have held him back if he was just the other side like he would have been if we were still in NSW. He is academically "gifted" and is working 3-4 years above his year group...emotionally though, he is your average 7 year old.

Traditionally, kids started school at 6...until WW2 when the government needed to utilise the female workforce so started school younger so that mums could go to work. There are loads of things you can do at home to keep them interested and active and thriving...getting them to a point where they are excited about learning and confident and happy.

My best advice...don't rush them. They grow up so fast, savour that time before school!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've held back my DS this year. He was only 2 weeks short of the cut off date so he would have been one of the youngest but he also has a speech delay. To be honest he's probably ready now but he wasn't ready 6 months ago. I'm happy with the decision. I'd rather he be one of the eldest than one of the youngest. From what I have read as well boys are often not as developed as girls so he would hav ebeen in class with girls nearly a year older than him, considerably more verbal and with a much greater comprehension of the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 9 days away from the cut off. I was really worried about her being the youngest and I can tell she is younger then some of her friends. But in saying that, she is doing well academically. She's learning so much. She loves going and is making friends. So I'm happy that I went ahead with starting her this year. She would have been extremely bored at home another year. Everyone said she was ready and even though
    I didn't want to admit it they were right. I just wasn't ready to let my little girl go. She's still only 4 and it seems crazy she is already in full time schooling. But she loves it and is getting so much out of it so I can begrudge her that

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://education.qld.gov.au/strategi...ents/smspr007/

Found this link today.. About QLD education department policies regarding holding kids back.

***Sent from my phone***

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

MummysYellowCar  (10-05-2012)