+ Reply to Thread
    lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3yo - fussy eating - needs control over mum?

*sigh* my 3yo is not too badly fussy. He eats ok, just very basic things.

Lately, he's been awful at meal time, and will not eat the things that he loves. He will get down from his chair, play around, play with his food, delay eating, spit water in his food etc. It's been forcing me to get him and put him back in his chair, tell him to eat over and over. I'll take it away, then he'll scream and want it back but wont eat. etc etc....

I really feel like this is all a game of control. He loves it because I get upset and he gets attention from that.

Today I've started to offer him food, and if he behaves as I have said, I don't make a fuss, I just take the food away and he can't have anything until the next meal (except water). I have been very consistent with this and so I hope it works, but I don't know what else to do. It's so frustrating and I hate getting so upset.

His dad has been away for a month for training (and will be away for another 2 months) and things have been hard for me, I have a 6mo DS too. Maybe he's reacting to me not coping very well? I give him lots of attention.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD wont eat vegetables!! I just sit her there till she eats them and if she dosent she has them next meal, I don't give her the things she likes till she eats the things she dosent.
    I do think you are doing the right thing taking it away from him if he mucks around so. What kind of chair is he sitting in? Maybe get him to choose what he wants to eat and help prepair it? At morning tea DD also gets to sit at her table and chairs as oppose to the family table for main meals, maybe you could try that? It's not easy without re-enforcement, your doing a good job :-) I hope Things settle soon for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lupa;6535925
    Lately, he's been awful at meal time, and will not eat the things that he loves. He will get down from his chair, play around, play with his food, delay eating, spit water in his food etc. It's been forcing me to get him and put him back in his chair, tell him to eat over and over. I'll take it away, then he'll scream and want it back but wont eat. etc etc....

I really feel like this is all a game of control. He loves it because I get upset and he gets attention from that.
    To me he really just doesn't sound hungry! Is he having a late/big afternoon tea? My DS (almost 3) pfaffs about with his dinner like that if he's simply not hungry.

We had a short period of power struggle over dinner but I think you've hit the nail on the head - don't play!! If he's not eating, stick to your threats to take it away (can try again in an hour when he's forgotten what happened probably at this age). DS went to bed once without his dinner (it was sooo hard for me to stick to! hahaha) but we haven't had to do that again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It must be very hard for you without support or backup at times like this! But perhaps try asking yourself WHY you get so worked up - I try really hard not to let it get to me because really, what do I care if he doesn't eat his food. It's my job to offer nutritious yummy food and his job to eat it IF he wants to. I don't need to force anything.