+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Door-to-door Telstra salesman.

Normally I dont entertain them, but this time I listened to what he had to say.

It started off, for $34 per month I could get unlimited cable 3.0 internet and a free home phone (including $50 worth of calls).

One of the first things I asked was contract length, and was told that I had to stay for a minimum of three months, and after that if I was unsatisfied I could cancel at no expense, or I could stay and continue for the remainder of a twelve month contract.

He asks to come inside to discus but I instead take him to a table and chairs in the backyard.

As his pitch continued the price changed a few times, $34.95, $33.95, and finally $32. Then i was given another option of $28 for 200GB limit per month instead of the 500GB. I asked what happened if the cap was exceeded and was told it would be slowed to 512k (which is pretty high for a shaped speed). Even though I said I would prefer that 200GB option, he kept reverting back to his standard unlimited (really 500GB) option.

This also comes with:
    * free cable modem and free NBN modem, and
    * free installation, and
    * free partial first month, and
    * they'll pay my contract break fee with my current provider (in my case it is $99)

In addition to this, if I refer someone else and they also take up the offer, I'll get a $10 discount to my bill.

This all sounds great. It looks like Telstra are really trying to get customers back, so why not go for it. (I also had a small list of people in my head that could also benefit from this amazing deal, and after proving that it worked for me I intended to pass the info on to them.) So I start to sign up. There is considerable delay waiting for his contact to ring me back, during which he asks to pee in my backyard. (I had teenagers in the house that dont like strangers inside, but felt obliged to invite him in to use the toilet just to avoid him taking a leak out back. He objected to coming inside saying that he just needed a bush.)

Finally the lady rings up, apolgising for the delay citing a computer problem, and we start to go through the process. She starts with one option (of a plan to put the first free partial month on), then talks to the consultant for a few minutes, they change their minds and do another option. Okay, lets start again. Now she mentions a 24 month contract. At this point I object and tell her that I was told I had the option to cancel after three months if unsatisfied or continue for the remainder of a twelve month contract. She speaks to the consultant again, then he explains to me that if I cancel before the end of the 24 months then I'll be charged $15 per month remaining. He's pushing me to continue. My 3yo is getting really demanding and not allowing me to concentrate. So I say that we'll have to do this another time because my 3yo needs attention. He keeps saying there is literally only two sentances left to finish, but I refuse to comply so he finally agrees to come back later. (It takes 20 minutes from the point I said I couldn't continue until he finally left.)

At this stage I am not sure what to do. Should I try and find out if anything even close to his original offer is available or should I just cut my losses and say goodbye?

Or should I complain about his unproffessional and strongarm behaviour?
    Last edited by sweetseven; 30-04-2012 at 18:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my experience, this seems to be quite typical of Telstra.

I would look at it as dodging a bullet, and cut your losses.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He asked to pee in the yard? :/

Telstra hassle me a bit. I changed from them about 5 years ago and been happy with my provider, they are relentless!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Cut your loses however if you complain, i hope you got his details as they are a different company telstra employ to do the door knocks. I had an issue with the person who did me and they couldnt do anything as i couldnt make out the name on the contract or anything.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow sounds very unprofessional, hmmm peeing in your backyard... Different amounts and GB's hmmm i would think long and hard before signing up for anything. Go to the Telstra shop and see if it was a legit deal. Then you could do a proper sign up... Im weary of all door to door people!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sometimes they say they are Telstra when they are not. Be wary of these types - if it sounds too good to be true, then quite likely it is.

Can't believe he peed in your backyard. Goofball!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What the heck - pee in your yard? Omg.

I wonder if he's really from Telstra. Maybe call telstra themselves from their advertised number and speak to someone? Because that sounds extremely suss to me.

And if it is them if you lodge a complaint to - ill find out who in a minute - they'll get charged $60 I think just because someone lodged a complaint and then upwards based on how far the complaint goes because that all sounds pretty bad misleading about contract lengths etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I insisted he go in and use the toilet - even though I didn't want him in the house.

I brought out a laptop and asked him to show it to me on the telstra website. He brought up a set of plans that started at $91, $111, and went up from there. I didn't really get a chance to look at the website at that point as he was flipping through his folio and pulling out papers here and there.

Later he said if I signed up without going through a consultant like him it would be seventy-something dollars a month. (My 3yo was rather distracting at the time so I didn't really pay attention to exactly what he said.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds all very strange. Door to door sales people are notorious for saying one thing & the contract saying another. Telstra reps themselves have even warned off signing anything with these people. I wouldn't take up the offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm maybe he was just trying to get your credit card details and personal information.