+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet training experts! Your advice please...

DD is 22 months, and very vocal/ chatty with good comprehension.

We had a brief foray into potty training a few months ago. We had some success, but she would still wee on the floor if distracted. At that time she seemed to know when a poo was coming, but not when a wee was going to happen. So we decided to leave it for a bit longer.

We haven't tried again, but for the last week or so she's been very insistent about going to the toilet.

She'll say "I need do wee on toilet!" and run off there, but when she's sitting on it she doesn't do anything. Judging from the nappy, I'd say that it happens almost immediately after she has announced it, and therefore has already gone by the time she's sat on the loo.

She's really happy to sit on there, and it's sometimes a mission to get her off.

As I was cooking dinner she announced she needed to go to the toilet, and I said something like "Oh, it's okay, you can go soon" and then distracted her so that she would forget about it. I feel really bad! But I was cooking, I knew she'd sit on there forever and not do anything, and... well I probably did the wrong thing, I know...

I'm not sure what the right thing to do is? The problem is that we are out and about a lot over the coming days, and I'm worried I don't have the time I can block out at home to properly 'toilet train' her. And I don't know if she really is ready, as she's not making it in time.

But I don't want to discourage her, or ignore the signals either.

What would you do? Has anyone been in that situation?

And I'm wondering how anyone who is busy/ out a lot ever gets toilet training done??? I know that sounds terrible. Just a bit lost on this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    sorry to say this but you are going to have to suck it up and be home for 7-10 days doing nothing other than watching her signals. so when she says she wants to go - pick her up and run!!!!

The thought of being home for so long doing nothing but staring at my DD scared me so much I convinced DH to take a couple of days off to help out. DH is way better at being home all day and doing no housework whereas I'm a busy bee and always pottering around cooking/cleaning/washing etc.

Within 2 weeks of doing that she was great and now six weeks later its all just a memory I'm happy to forget. Oh and DD is now 20mths old and she was just shy of 19mths when we stood our ground. poor puddums was getting so confused with the nappy/knicker debate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (30-04-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have one of those portable toilet seats for little ones we take to friends house. We are potty training our oldest. It took a while for him to get it. Now al wees apart from night ones are in the potty and his just started pooping in there. It's taking about a week. We went out an put him in a nappy when we started. He didn't forget to do when he had to go tho

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    btw bright bots do these great training pants that have a plastic lining so that if they do have an accident its contained. We use it on long car drives or when we go to places that arent so TT friendly (the loos are a long walk away). You can also get portable toilet seat thingys - my favourite is the Cushy Tushie which is approx 16 from Target. We keep one in the car and one in her backpack when we go wandering.

We've had way more accidents at home... till now - no accidents anywhere outside of home.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the answers so far.

So, would you say that she does sound ready to TT then? My concern was that she's asking to go, but not making it in time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Thanks for the answers so far.

So, would you say that she does sound ready to TT then? My concern was that she's asking to go, but not making it in time.
    Yea. She knows she has to go... But its now! We used to stay within 10m of a toilet so we could do the dash with our DD. If she didn't ask in 45m we would just put her on.

I think your DD is ready to TT mentally- she just needs to learn how to predict she needs to go and how to use her muscles to hold on. That takes just takes time.

Keep her in a dress so she can feel the trickles down her legs if there is any leakage. Cotton undies are great cos they dry quickly. Expect to go thru 8-10 a day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, maybe I should give it a go.

I was worried that maybe she was mentally ready but not physically ready. It's really hard to tell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have just started TTing DD who is 29mths today. I started on Friday. Dd is very similar to yours, very chatty and has good comprehension.

She wasn't really 'showing' signs of being ready but I thought now is no better time to start!

Friday - Was.A.Disaster!! I was seriously ready to throw in the towel and give up! 9 accidents and only 1 success + extremely tired toddler = NOT good!
    Came bath time, I put the potty in beside the bath, while it ran and got her to sit on it... She went! I think that was her turning point!! Cause after her bath, she stayed in knickers till bed time, and not 1 accident. Saturday we had 2 accidents, Sunday 2 and yesterday 3. she is in training pants at night (will tackle that soon) but she has really surprised me on how quickly she 'got it'