+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Fifth Disease/Slapped Cheek

Well, my little 2 year old incubus of germs is sick again (quick, everyone act surprised..note the sarcasm).

He's been off colour for 5 days or so now and slapped cheek did occur to me but I'm now 100% sure of it since he's developed a rash on the side of his face. He's been tired, lethargic, grumpy the last few days but I've been reading once the rash appears he's no longer contagious and they usually start feeling better around now? Anyone know if that's right or applied to their kids when they had this?? Also, how long did it last and did you catch it?

I'm not going to the dr or getting one out because...well...enough. He's been sick more than he's been well this year (everyone who knows me will understand this) and I'm 100% sure it's slapped cheek like I said so really not wanting to put him through medical checks again.

The rash doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. Would he be able to go to daycare since he's no longer contagious and feeling better? Obviously I'd let them know what's happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS had fifths disease last year. He was unwell, then feverish, vomiting, then came rash. It bothered him a lot. He was miserable and the rash was terrible. We luckily didn't catch it. I can't remember how long it lasted. I personally wouldn't take him to daycare unless a Dr confirmed it was fifths disease and said he was okay to go.

DS's rash was widespread though - it wasn't just his face so that may have been why he was so miserable with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No advice hun but just massive

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD1 had it, but only the rash, no actual illness as such. The rash hung around for months, even more so when she got slightly warm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The rash seems to have faded at least 50% now? He hasn't been vomiting or anything...slight fever here and there (he's always been very warm though). He just seems tired all the time.

Will just keep giving him nurofen and possibly some phenergan and see how he goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my dd had slapped cheek a few yrs ago. Her GP said it was a non-exclusion illness and she was fine to go to day-care, which they confirmed to be true. I think they may have asked for a dr certificate though from memory. Hope your little one gets better

10. The Following User Says Thank You to maddysmama For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (30-04-2012)