+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What to avoid after birth

Hi ladies
    I have birth 4 weeks ago and wondering what i should be avoiding and for how long. I was told not to go swimming in pool for 6 weeks and not to do body pump classes for a YEAR! Is that right? No lifting weights for that long?
    Also no running for 6 months. I didn't run while pregnant but was hoping to shed the kilos faster with running and weights.

Anything else i shouldn't do? What did u do to lose the weight? I used to be about 55kg and gained 20kg .. Its getting me down a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow that sounds insane!

Yes it is true that you should avoid swimming until you finish bleeding. That can be quite some time, like 6 - 8 weeks - but the rest of that sounds crazy. As soon as I went for my 6 week check up at the Ob and he told me all was well I got straight back into exercising. Obviously start out low on the weights and work your way up, but there's no way you need to hold out for a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it sounded crazy too! It was the physio who did ultrasound on my stitches in hospital telling me that after i said that's what i wanted to do asap to get back to pre pregnant weight.. Said just go walking for as long as u want.. Have been doing that but weight has stopped coming off now

Thanks
    Reviews
    What degree tear did you have?

If it was a nasty one (ie 3rd or 4th deg), it is advisable to avoid high impact activities (inc running) for a good while. Also, whilst Pump is low impact, some of the exercises (wide squat, for example) can put your pelvic floor muscles under +++ load, delaying the recovery process.

I think a year is a bit excessive in most cases, but would certainly apply to some people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it depends on individuals, if that's what you've been advised to do I'd look at healthy eating and light impact exercise.

I know I wasn't up to anything but walking for up to a year because of my back/bum problems caused by the birth. I think it's unrealistic for new mums to think that because Miranda Kerr and co. are back to their pre-baby weight within weeks that we will be too. It's normal to be a bit chubbier this soon after baby, it's the celebs that are the weirdos

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp I know u should avoid high impact exercise for a least 6 wks but if u had tearing etc u should def wait for the green light the last this u want is a prolapse or weak pelvic floor! The weight will come off its only been a month! Don't be so hard on yourself! Ur prolly still carrying a
    Fair bit of fluid still

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.. I had an episiotomy so maybe that's why..
    I guess i had unreal expectations about losing the weight. This morning tried on some of my old jeans which didst even get to my hips. I should just buy some bigger clothes i spose so i don't think about it every day when i get dressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    be careful if you try to lose weight too quickly it could affect your milk supply if you are breastfeeding. also you can bleed (lochia) heavier when you do too much.

remember the weight took 9mths to get put on and it will take that time to come off. sensible eating and walking is a good way of getting fitter slowly.

keep wearing you maternity gear... it probably fits you a lot better now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Buy yourself some really nice new clothes that will flatter your new curves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kim,

I don't have any advice re: exercise as I didn't ask about particular types. I had a 4th degree tear and was advised to only participate in low impact exercise for the first six months.

In relation to weight, try not to stress. It's only been 4 weeks. I was 55 pre pregnancy and put on 17 kg in 35 weeks. It's now been 13 weeks post birth and I'm back to pre pregnancy weight. I haven't done a thing to loose the weight...it will happen just give it time.

:-)