+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will I ever enjoy Breastfeeding?

Before the birth of my DD I was not one of those parents that had a set plan for what I was or was not going to do in terms of parenting, except when it came to breastfeeding.

I had a VERY quick labor and was sent home the next day even tho this was my first child. I had said I wanted to make sure I was ok with feeding before I was sent home, but I was made to feel like I was being silly worrying and I that I was doing fine and I should just go home.

I wasn't feeding ok, I thought the pain I had was just me getting used to feeding but it just got worse. For the first couple of weeks I was in tears every time I fed her, my partner who is very supportive would have to leave the room as it was so hard for him to see me in so much pain

With the help of my sister and a lactation consultant I am feeding without pain. She is now 12 weeks old and I am proud to say I have never had to give her formula but I am not what I would call comfortable.

I was told she has a small mouth and I find I have to hold her and my breast for the entire feed or it starts to hurt and also she can be very squirmy. Sometimes I can tell its wind but other times she will throw her head back or press her hand against my breast pulling my nipple out

I though this would be a nice time I would share with her but I am getting so upset and frustrated I feel horrible getting grumpy with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if I have any good advice just wanted to say well done making it this far. I was one of these ppl who although it killed in the beginning I did eventually really enjoy b feeding. I'm sure it will only get easier for you.
    Hang in there and maybe try contacting the lactation consultant again or expressing and feeding her from a bottle. I personally hated my breast pump but if I was still in pain after 12 weeks it's something that I might consider? Or nipple cream to help with the pain and sensitivity. LANHISOL I think it's called.
    You sound like a great mum, doing what's best for your bub even tho it causes pain.
    The sacrifices we make hey! Lol
    Good luck and remember whatever decision you make if it makes mum and bub happy then it's the right decision for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

ScarlettLily  (30-04-2012)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, maybe ask / join ABA, they offer the most support, and perhaps if you just met with other mums in the similar situation, you will feel better with it all. I dont think there is anything wrong with your technique and Im sure all your feelings are perfectly normal. If bub is having plenty of wet nappies, and seems content most of the time, i think you are doing just fine. I do wish the hospitals were more supportive of new mums, they seem to be in such a hurry to push people out the door. hugs Marie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLily View Post
    I was told she has a small mouth and I find I have to hold her and my breast for the entire feed or it starts to hurt and also she can be very squirmy. Sometimes I can tell its wind but other times she will throw her head back or press her hand against my breast pulling my nipple out
    i loved breastfeeding my first child from early on. i had a few hassles the first few weeks, but nothing too big.

my second child feeds quite differently. he is 13 weeks old now and i still need 2 hands (one for breast, one for bub). it is not painful, just not comfy. he also has reflux and vomits up most of what i feed him.

i know that my dd changed her feeding over time, and so i am just hoping that i start to enjoy feeding my ds soon too.

just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, your baby's small mouth is probably a big contributor, and hopefully it will get better. also that if you have another baby, it may be comfortable and gorgeous right from the start.

you are doing an awesome job!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't really enjoy breastfeeding to the point where I found it easy until around 6 months I don't think. I had nipple thrush and vasospasm and it hurt for the longest time. The thing that kept me going was that I was traveling a lot and I couldn't bare the thought of bottles. I always felt more relaxed knowing that I could feed my baby any time and comfort him easily. It got easy later on for me when it was no longer his sole source of nutrition and also when he could attach himself and fussed less. I went on to breastfeed for 14 months when my DS self weaned. I really enjoyed it in the end but I understand why some mothers will have had enough earlier. I'm just stubborn I guess lol. Next time I hope to be based in Australia and will be using the expertise of the ABA for sure which wasn't available to me last time. Congratulations for hanging in there through the tough times, it's not easy and you have done a wonderful thing for yourself and your baby getting this far.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for the advise and positive comments

I have tried expressing and bottle feeding while I was trying to heal my poor boobies but I found it quite stressful I never knew if she was getting enuff or worried I wouldn't have a bottle ready when she needed it.

I will just stick with it and hope as my little boobie wrestler grows it will become easier

Talking about it and knowing its not just me definitely relieves some stress

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    it does get easier when bub grows enough to hold themselves or hold your boob!

you have done wonderfully!!! keep up the fabulous work and its ok to say you dont like it much. There are times that even the most hardcore BF mum hates bfing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not sure if I understood right - do you still have sore nipples? Regarding sore nipples the thing I am still soooo grateful for discovering were those patches:
    http://www.nursingangel.com.au/produ...ompresses.html
    I for myself didn't really enjoy breastfeeding until I started introducing solids, so when finally I was able to get a little break (my baby breastfed every 90 mins, day and night) and my supply started settling down.
    I also have fairly big breasts so no chance I could feed without holding my breast.
    I do agree with the others, starting to go to ABA was so great, I even started their counsellor course.
    And I also agree that I find it brilliant you even got the help of a lactation consultant and although you never had a real plan, you never gave up! No matter what happens, you fed for 12 weeks, nobody can take this away from bub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky2006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it's all a very personal experience and very different for every woman and her bub.
    It's a massive learning experience, not only do you have to learn how to feed but you need to teach your bub how to feed and bub's needs to learn how to feed! Gosh how exhausting!
    Personally, i never enjoyed my breastfeeding days. I kept going up untill 4mths. All this time i was seeing LC on a weeky basis. MCHN fortnightly. bub's was just not gaining the weight, to the point she turned a mottled red colour because her body was trying to keep her warm. They weighed her and she put on 35gms in a week. It was that day that i broke down and said that's it, im done.

I kept thinking to myself why did i continue for so long? why didnt i just end it sooner? Why didnt i buy ONE lousy tin of formula for the endless nights i struggled to produce any milk for her?
    Looking back, i guess it was my instincts. I wanted to breastfeed her so badly. There was no other method for me.
    Once she was put on formula she bacame a different baby. I enjoyed feeds and being a mum was all i thought it would be and more.

I hope you can continue your breastfeeding journey for as long as possible, if not, dont stress on it. This happens to so many mum's, you are not alone. There is nothing to feel guilty about if you gave it a good hard crack. That you did for 12 long weeks!
    Make the decision thats best for you and your baby at the time.
    All the best
    Last edited by nice piece of crumpet; 30-04-2012 at 15:43.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nice piece of crumpet For This Useful Post: