+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to you learn to run?

hi girls,

So since it seems I'm out for this month TTC and as I don't want another Jan bub we'll be waiting til June/July so now I want to focus of my weight loss and I haven't ever been a very physical person so I'm not 100% clued in here. I want to get max calorie output to my time as I don't have a huge amount of it and running/jogging is something I could do BUT....every time I've tried gentle jogging I've been met with a few obstacles. And yes I stretch and warm up with a 1km walk before I try to speed up.

The first is I'm asthmatic and although im on a preventer jogging flares it up something terrible. Second omg my shins HURT! and its painful after only 50 odd metres! And then there's the pain I get in my hips like they're being bashed in their sockets. Owww!

So it beats me how all these people can be jogging along like its no problem when I'm flat out getting 500 mtrs under my feet at a pretty slow running pace (3-4km p/hr) before I want to die.

Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkplease3 For This Useful Post:

MyBabyBells  (30-04-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Google C25K. It's an interval program for complete beginners, I have done it twice an have gone from not being able to run more than a minute at a time to running 5k easily. (C25K stands for couch to 5k) there's also a thread on here about it to keep you motivated, too.

Good luck!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

pinkplease3  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds interesting ... =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have bad shins and joints. New pair of runners will make all the difference. Also trying to run on as much grass/ dirt as possible. Not as hard on your joints as concrete.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look, some ppl can't jog.. It is bad for your joints. If you're not very fit I wouldn't recommend it.. I would however recommend walking, fast walking. If you walk as fast as u can your heart rate will rise plenty enough to lose weight.. Then once fast walking feels easy start jogging 1 min, walk 1 min. My hubby is a PT and thus is how he got me into it (im unfit again now as have been sick alot lately) but when I got into it I soon found it easy to jog 1 minute walk 1 minutes.. Go slower, building it up gradually :-)

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

pisces00  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with the couch to 5k program. While I haven't done it alot of people swear by it. I'm someone who jogs regularly and some days you find your rhythm and it's easy others it's hard. It took me a long time to learn how to jog properly (the breathing is really important as well as correct stance, shoes etc). There's a lot more to it than just going for a jog. But if you can crack it (and if you're having pain something isn't right) the benefits are great.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out the c25k program, it took me from not running at all to running 40+km a week. I love running coz you can do it anywere, as a busy mum of 3 i need to fit exercise in somewere, and not having to go to a gym is a bonus. The c25k program saved my life i went from morbidly obese to yesterday running a half marathon. I disagree that running is bad for your joints they key is to start slow, do it on grass if possible roads are worse for impact- I have arthritis and the exercise has actually helped my joints, less pain, less weight so less everyday impact- i cant speak highly enough of the c25k program, butt remember if you do it you can repeat weeks if they are to hard, and your not ready to move on

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DALLASMUM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i didn't start running till i was 65kgs. before that i was doing a lot of netball and using the cross trainer. by the time i started to run, i had a fairly high fitness level and had already lost 22kgs. I just did the "lets see how far i can run non stop approach" and was running 10kms in 6 weeks. i then did a training program and have reached 21kms in 3 months

14. The Following User Says Thank You to katieinwa For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (01-05-2012)