+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any PhD Mummas?

I have a 8 month old baby and am applying to do a PhD, starting in July this year. For the six months my hubby is going to stay home full time with bub, then she will go to daycare 3-4 days a week. In theory I can treat my study like a full time, albeit flexible job. I will also probably do some lecturing and contract research 10-20 hrs a week. My hubby is amazing and will help as much as he

I did my Masters while working full time, so I am confident in my time management... But this is a PhD!

Any Mummas doing a PhD... Any advice?? Am I nuts to even be thinking about this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing!

I havent even finished my degree yet... Lol... But im going on to do hons, with a view to do PhD - and have more kidlets along the way - so interested to hear replies!

Good on you though! If you made it through masters im sure you will survive just fine!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done a PhD but decided that i would finish it before any kids come along. Im pretty glad I made that decision but know plenty of people that have juggled both. They just take a bit longer and have less sleep :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a mumma yet, but hope to be soon. About to start a phd, which I've put off for years while ttc (obviously without success yet). Decided I need to stop planning around baby, but hope to be UTD soon. I figure that I will find a way to make it work if bub decides to join us mid-phd. I have a very supportive Dh and extended family.

Anyway, subbing for any hints and tips for if I find myself a phd mumma!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing. Finished masters several years ago and would like to continue on but very worried about time management etc..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grr, just wrote a long reply and it somehow deleted. Let's try again!

I was about half way through my PhD when I had DD. I took maternity leave until she was about one month old. I found it not too bad while she was young because she slept alot. I set up a cot in my study. I actually got quite alot of good study in.

I stopped my PhD when she was about one and a half. Partly because of her, partly because of the PhD itself. I was doing it just out of interest, no real career prospects at the end of it. It was too hard to justify making her play on her own to study when it wasn't for a career. The research was suffering too. I also had to go to the UK for around 6 weeks for it to research which was too hard with kid, dogs, cats, family. My supervisor also retired. I'm sure I could have made it work at that age if I really tried though.

Now that she's three I'd find it impossible!
    I'm a totally disorganised person though! She doesn't go to daycare, all my family (DH, Mum, MIL etc) work full time so not much help there, and she doesn't have a day sleep. Not sure when I'd get any work done!

Good luck everyone!! I'm sure it can be done with some good organisation! You just have to get used to setting yourself smaller tasks to fit in between sleeps!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate when that happens!!! Thanks for the responses and words of encouragement and advice ladies! You guys are amazing! Esp Mummas that can study and have babies at the same time!! I just finished the proposal so fingers crossed I can get a scholarship!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing I would like to see other peoples answers

I would like to do a phd

I'm currently doing my honours year in science and so far my grades are good for a scholarship however AF is currently late eeppp!

I'm looking at returning full time once bubs is 1 year so it will have to go into daycare. I think its different depending what area its in. I would have to be in the lab everyday from 9-5.30.. not really much help but good luck!!
    Last edited by Sammyp; 11-05-2012 at 00:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Sammy I did my PhD in medical science - if you want any advice feel free to PM me. What are you doing honours in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure if I qualify - i am 3/4 of the way through a doctorate (psychology) - its 70% research based and is similar to a masters/phd combination. I finished my coursework before i had DD and now have my thesis to write (plus one placement left). I must admit i find it hard to get motivated to write and dd provides an easy distraction!! Number 2 is due in november and i am hoping to have at least a significant proportion of my research done before then as i cant imagine it will be easy to stay motivated with two distractions!!! I was so tempted to quit while on maternity leave with dd, but it really is a means to an end to work in the field.