+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Low GI diet

Does anyone follow a low GI diet? I've been told i need to start doing so. I'm a bit stumped for meal/snack ideas.
    I absolutely love carbs. I could seriously just live off potato and pasta so this is going to be very hard.
    So if you follow a low GI diet what do you typically eat in a day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I eat A LOT of quinoa, swap it for rice. Ends up in a lot of things like salads, spag bog etc.

Swap white potato for orange sweet potato.
    Watch your cheese intake, swap a lot of a tasty/cheddar for a little fata/strong tastin cheese.

Swap olive oil for rice bran oil.

Have a look on diabetes aust website for meal ideas. Diabetes patients follow a low GI diet. Also look at taste & lifestyle channel websites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've never tried quinoa... might give it a shot though.

I can't stand sweet potato so i will have to find another way around that one.

cheese i don't tend to over do. Olive oil on the other hand... i have 12 litres sitting in the cupboard i bought for really cheap..lol

I've sussed out the diabetes website. It wasn't really very helpful. The receipes are just linked to taste (i think it was). They are all basically meat based which doesn't help me being a vego. I think thats another huge part of the problem... being vegetarian means i probably consume more carbs then anything else.

What would be some good snack ideas? Nuts would be low GI. Would biscuits live Vita weet be as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't eat red or white meat either so it is harder for us!
    I just cut out bread/pasta/rice/ potato and anything with artificial sugar , I would only have 1 ryvita or a small serve of brown rice on occasion
    You get most of your carbs from veggies so I literally ate fish and veggies or salad , lots of lentils, lots of soup, frittatas, eggs, fish cakes, prawns, veggie curry with no rice or little bit on brown rice , stir frys with quinoa noodles or if I did crave bread I would have 1 rye moutain bread wrap with cheese and avocado and tuna, nuts are a great snack as is boiled eggs or veggie sticks and homemade tzatiki, guacamole

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for that. It gives me a few ideas. I was thinking about those mountain wraps stuffed full of salad. They wouldn't be too bad, would they?

I was reading pasta is actually low GI. Does that mean its ok to eat more often?

What does Quinoa actually taste like? Where do you buy the noodles from?

Hmm... why does it have to be so hard??..lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coles have quinoa, $5 for a 400gr box. Its in the health food isle.

There is a diabetic living mag, most newsagents should have it.

Jasmine rice is low GI. Aborio used in risotto is low GI as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I've seen quinoa at the supermarkets. I've never seen it in noodle form though.

Probably not much point in me buying the magazine. I would imagine any receipes or diet info would be based on a diet containing meat.

Thats good to know about rice though. That helps with quite a few meal ideas. should you still limit your intake even though it is low GI?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    You can always adapt the recipes to suit. I am living with my folks at the moment and my dad is diabetic, so we get the magazine. Heaps of recipes in there that I can adapt to suit a vegan
    Yeah true. I guess you can adapt most receipes. Still don't think its worth forking out for a magazine.
    I'm thinking of taking a salad, soup and stew approach... just heaps of vegies and legumes. Fruit and nuts for snacks. I think thats the best way to wipe out my beloved carbs.