+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    Yep thats true too, you have to be persistant in both respects.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using BubHub
    Yes I think so too. Also op in regards to centrelink not paying you because they think your lying all you would need would be to show them your partners payslip and perhaps a bank statement showing the various amounts going in. Im pretty sure that centrelink / government wouldn't with hold money from you if you have proof ?

Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs OP. I agree with your partner trying to get more stable income, even if it is only part time to help get you into a rental property. I suppose because you have accommodation they might not see you as a high priority, there are people who are homeless with kids! Do you have other family you can stay with?

Try not to judge others, karma and all that! Be positive, good things will happen x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I hope you have had some good advice by now...

Hi, I found this thread by googling wait times on public housing. I know this was posted 6 months or more ago but I thought I'd still reply. If you are in unsuitable accommodation you would be eligible for at least seg 3 early housing, this includes not having cooking and or bathroom room facilities. Your son having medical needs will also help your cause. My advice to you is to call a housing org like Homeground, if they can not help you ask them for names of housing orgs in your area that can help. Tell the office of housing that you do not have cooking or bathroom facilities and need to update your application. It really depends on the areas you are applying for how long it will take. I hope you have found some help by now, if not good luck. If you have any more questions just ask me. I have a son with an intellectual disability have been going through this process for a long time, talked to loads of other homeless people and know lots. Oh and don't listen to idiots that send you hate when asking this question. I worked 2 jobs paid very high private rental for 7 yrs and then found myself homeless with my 2 boys, no one knows your story and you never have to justify your to anyone. I used to feel i did then realized it was no one elses business. Sometimes public housing is the only way to get a secure leg up so you can get well and do the best for your kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After I broke up with the father of my daughter- he kicked me out, in fact. He said I was welcome to let our daughter live there, but I had to go.

I looked everywhere, applied everywhere, looking for somewhere I could afford. I live in Darwin, which has expensive rent After rent, I would have had around $200 left over a fortnight from centrelink for bills and groceries.

I'm well spoken, well presented, and house proud. I just happened to be one of those unlucky young ones who fell pregnant to an unsuitable guy, and couldn't bring themselves to have an abortion. My mother is always saying "you come from a good family!"
    Anyways. Couldn't find anywhere, not even a room. People weren't keen on having a child around.

I applied for public housing. I was told it was seven years. I said I had no where to go, and I was told sorry, and referred to other places that could help me raise money for a bond. I also pointed out that in seven years, I hoped to have graduated from uni and be working! I just needed something for now, until I graduated and found full time work.

At the time, I was a mess. I was even willing to leave my 1.5 year old daughter with the ex, even though he said "if you leave her with me, I will tell her you abandoned her, and you can't see her again."
    Honestly. So desperate. I agreed, just so she'd have somewhere to live. I didn't know how one became a prostitute, or how to deal drugs, or any other surefire way to get cash. Perhaps I could hang around the hospital and offer my kidney up? Or maybe I could grovel and beg my ex to take my back?

Happily, I got my STAT tests results back. It was beautiful to hold those results in my hands and read it there in black and white that I was smarter than 94% of people who sat the same test. Serious balm to my soul.

So, I got into uni, and I moved somewhere with cheaper rent, and I got my daughter back. I also met my current DP. Who is lovely. We decided to move in together, but despite him working full time in the mines, owning his own home elsewhere and the two of us looking somewhere that wasn't popular, it took us... 2 months of solid searching, and a lot of rejection, before we finally got our place.

I know this is a personal story, but you know what? I don't mind sharing it. I share it at uni, when I hear other students put down homeless people, or single mothers, or those who live in public housing. Because it seriously could happen to you. And it's stupid that it takes so long for some people- people with children, who NEED a decent roof over their heads- to get a place. Especially if, when you were young, you made a choice that was detrimental to long term financial success. (I will not say a mistake, because I love my daughter, and I love where everything has taken me. I love the place I am at now.)

My advice:
    - Don't be picky where you live. If I want to visit family, it's a three hour train ride and 4 or 5 hour flight interstate to see them. If I want to see two good friends that I've known for over 10 years- three hour train ride. I took a MASSIVE gamble moving to where I am now, simply because it has the basics of what I want- uni, cheap housing, good public transport. It's bloody hard to move out of your comfort zone, and it's bloody hard to make new friends. But its better then the alternative, and I can sms and email my friends. I don't drive- I don't even have the money for a car!- so I moved to where Uni was. After a few months I noticed a direct bus from there to Little Town, an hour away. I looked into housing in Little Town with DP, which is somewhat out of the way, but has super cheap rent. I could afford it if I were single.
    it's also about 6 hours drive from DP's family, so we're both very much alone.
    - Study will set you free. Why not look into TAFE, and study aged care? it's only a semester, generally you can work out payment plans with the institution, and you're pretty much promised a job afterwards. Full time is two days a week, part time is one day a week. Next year I'm doing part time TAFE and part time Uni. DD will go childcare one day a week (when I have TAFE). It will cost DP and I $30 for the day. I can download my lectures online, and I don't HAVE to go to tutorials. DP does shift work, so he will look after DD when he can. If I have to go to uni and DP is working, a neighbor will look after DP. (I'm planning on offering them $50.) (I have three sets of retired neighbors who are grandparents, another neighbor who is lovely, with a lovely teenaged daughter, and a less lovely neighbor with a daughter younger than mine. Plus, I'm busy sucking up to everyone at church. There are other houses near me with children, and I'm forever going for walks to try and "bump" into them, so we can become friends.) This kinda ties into my first bit. Yeah, its' scary moving away from family, but it teaches you to be proactive in meeting your neighbors, and making friends! I actually met DP because he lived next door to me
    - Buy in bulk. And plan ahead! And all those other money saving tips that I'm sure you know about.

One of my neighbors is also a stay at home mum, and her DH drives an hour for work, as does my DP. But the savings in rent- and we live in a nice area- are totally worth it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbean For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry darling,you will wait from 10-25 year,you have to be junkies,alcoholic or out of jail