+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ummmm, trying to think. DD1 is turning 13yrs next month.

I think the actual period like bleeding went on for something like 2 weeks or maybe even longer. Felt like forever though. Then it was spotting or on the paper on and off for the whole pregnancy. I rested as much as I could just so I felt like I was doing something but it was hard.

I just asked DH and he thinks it was longer than 2 weeks with the period like bleeding. Poor thing got exposed to TMI when I was pregnant with her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you're hanging in there, bhnewbie. Everything is crossed over here for you. Make sure you get you blood group done. In case you need anti D.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to romaverona For This Useful Post:

BHNewbie  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Weird. I just posted a reply but it was missing even after refreshing and now it's there.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 01-05-2012 at 20:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BHNewbie,
    Sorry to hear you're having stress - but I know what you mean. We lost our first baby at 37 weeks 8 months ago and were absolutely devastated (perfect pregnancy, but she got the cord around her neck). We fell pregnant again after 4 months and were ecstatic... but at 5 & 1/2 weeks I started bleeding. I had mild period pains with it which was how my labour started, so I immediately assumed I was miscarrying. I got into the doctors first thing the next morning and he did an exam. He said my cervix was closed so I hadn't miscarried, but told me to have bedrest for a week. I did that, the bleeding didn't stop, I had another similar bleed that weekend... we held our breath till the 7 week mark for our dating scan, and were amazed to see a heartbeat (as were the docs) and the pregnancy continued. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had constant loss of brown blood with fresh bleeds increasing until they were more than one a day, although I never needed more than a panty liner for the amount I was losing. It finally showed up on my NT scan as a clot between the placenta and uterus wall and some docs claimed this was quite common, while my main doc wasn't very happy with it, but that it should heal by itself. The bleeding finally stopped one week ago @ 16 weeks (YAY!), so have had 10 weeks of bleeding and they couldn't see the bleed on the scan anymore, so I'm assuming it has totally healed. It is totally stressful and I totally understand your concern, however just wanted to let you know it doesn't always end badly. By the way, my NT scan results put us at low risk - lower risk results than last bub and this bubs is bigger than he should be, so the bleeding hasn't affected him whatsover.
    I totally googled everything too, and while it's hard not to, it isn't always helpful, but at least you know what you're in for. Good luck and keep us updated with how you go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Letoti For This Useful Post:

K n I  (13-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by romaverona View Post
    Glad you're hanging in there, bhnewbie. Everything is crossed over here for you. Make sure you get you blood group done. In case you need anti D.
    Thanks! I will ask for that on the next blood test!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by romaverona View Post
    Oh yes, good point... I am negative blood type and I had two anti-d shots while bleeding as they didn't know whether blood is from bubs or me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    BHNewbie - the advice I was given by doctor & nurses was to rest (bed or couch) with feet up until bleeding had been stopped for at least 1 whole day. It prob lasted about 6 days for me. Then about 3 days after it stopped I got another bit of red blood that didn't last very long. Then I got it again as a one-off about 5 days after that (which was Sat just gone). Again that was just a one-off and not much at all ... then went to spotting, then nothing.

An ultrasound earlier than when the heartbeat can be seen might be advisable to make sure it's not an ectopic. I also agree with you that you should get the HCG checked again. Did they not also check the progesterone? I think that's quite important if you're bleeding. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    ummmm, trying to think. DD1 is turning 13yrs next month.

I think the actual period like bleeding went on for something like 2 weeks or maybe even longer. Felt like forever though. Then it was spotting or on the paper on and off for the whole pregnancy. I rested as much as I could just so I felt like I was doing something but it was hard.

I just asked DH and he thinks it was longer than 2 weeks with the period like bleeding. Poor thing got exposed to TMI when I was pregnant with her!
    ok thanks! haha yes I know what you mean with the TMI! My DP has been exposed to more than he ever expected or asked for but he has been listening to everything and researching and sends me info when he finds something positive to keep my spirits up! He has been absolutely wonderful so I'm taking us both away this weekend to get some relax time and to thank him for his support that he has given me and no doubt will continue with throughout this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelLexiesmum View Post
    Hi BHNewbie,
    Sorry to hear you're having stress - but I know what you mean. We lost our first baby at 37 weeks 8 months ago and were absolutely devastated (perfect pregnancy, but she got the cord around her neck). We fell pregnant again after 4 months and were ecstatic... but at 5 & 1/2 weeks I started bleeding. I had mild period pains with it which was how my labour started, so I immediately assumed I was miscarrying. I got into the doctors first thing the next morning and he did an exam. He said my cervix was closed so I hadn't miscarried, but told me to have bedrest for a week. I did that, the bleeding didn't stop, I had another similar bleed that weekend... we held our breath till the 7 week mark for our dating scan, and were amazed to see a heartbeat (as were the docs) and the pregnancy continued. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had constant loss of brown blood with fresh bleeds increasing until they were more than one a day, although I never needed more than a panty liner for the amount I was losing. It finally showed up on my NT scan as a clot between the placenta and uterus wall and some docs claimed this was quite common, while my main doc wasn't very happy with it, but that it should heal by itself. The bleeding finally stopped one week ago @ 16 weeks (YAY!), so have had 10 weeks of bleeding and they couldn't see the bleed on the scan anymore, so I'm assuming it has totally healed. It is totally stressful and I totally understand your concern, however just wanted to let you know it doesn't always end badly. By the way, my NT scan results put us at low risk - lower risk results than last bub and this bubs is bigger than he should be, so the bleeding hasn't affected him whatsover.
    I totally googled everything too, and while it's hard not to, it isn't always helpful, but at least you know what you're in for. Good luck and keep us updated with how you go.
    I'm so sorry you lost your first bub! I can't even begin to imagine how hard that must have been for you both!
    Thanks for sharing your story - It is nice to hear the positive stories out there!
    Good luck with your bub, I'm glad the bleeding hasn't caused any problems for him or you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    BHNewbie - the advice I was given by doctor & nurses was to rest (bed or couch) with feet up until bleeding had been stopped for at least 1 whole day. It prob lasted about 6 days for me. Then about 3 days after it stopped I got another bit of red blood that didn't last very long. Then I got it again as a one-off about 5 days after that (which was Sat just gone). Again that was just a one-off and not much at all ... then went to spotting, then nothing.

An ultrasound earlier than when the heartbeat can be seen might be advisable to make sure it's not an ectopic. I also agree with you that you should get the HCG checked again. Did they not also check the progesterone? I think that's quite important if you're bleeding. Good luck!
    I think I will go back and have a chat with my doc if the bleeding continues - it has eased today but hasn't completely stopped. Mind you, I've spent the past two days (other than going to the doc and for the blood tests) on the couch resting as I thought that would certainly not do any harm!

My doc checked for a tonne of things in the blood tests and I'm sure the progesterone was one of those but I will double check. Everything he did test for came back normal so that was good.

I think you might have the right idea there with checking for ectopic! We can go back later to hear the heartbeat - so long as we can get the all clear, we'll be happy!
    Last edited by BHNewbie; 01-05-2012 at 20:27.