+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time mum - Muslin wraps? Waffle blankets??

Hi all, I am a first time mum and my baby is due in mid July. Recently I have asked my friends on the must buy for new bub. One told me to buy lots of Muslin wraps. Another told me to buy waffle blankets since my bub is due in winter. And today I was given 3 flannelette wraps...

What is the difference between them? And when to use them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I found muslin/cloth wraps hard. I could never get them just right so bub could wriggle out of them. The 'idiot proof' wraps are much better (the ones that are a Wrap/swaddle all in one and either have a zip or Velcro fasteners). I love the halo sleepsack with a swaddle. They allow bub to get used to a sleeping bag (for when they are older) but have the swaddle as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we used the muslin wraps for ages (i mean till 3/4mths) then swapped to a cot sheet cos she was very long and kept swaddling her till 6/7mths. you use a waffle blanket over bub... so you'd wrap them up and then tuck the blanket tightely over them and under the mattress. Or just leave the blanket on them if they are having a day sleep near you.

flannel wraps are like muslin wraps but a bit heavier for winter. we didnt use them much up here in qld.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love muslin wraps. Dd was born in early August I would wrap her in muslin and she'd have a flanellet or waffle on top.
    Some of the flanellet wraps are just as good muslin though especially if they are stretchy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do u know how to swaddle bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally, I found muslin wraps useless as I couldn't get enough 'stretch' to wrap baby. I found the ones made of tshirt-type material much more effective. in winter, I would place a blanket over the top and tuck it in. But then I discovered grobags and have never looked back! They are great as they come in different weights (summer and winter) and no other bedding is required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate Muslin wraps! They are too stiff and have no give. I use waffle wraps or stretchy cotton wraps. Baby can't escape, but they aren't wrapped so tightly that they can't stretch a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used muslin wraps with mine - try and get the 120x120 size though as its bigger and easier to get bubs secured. I swaddled both my kids to 8 months in this size. The flannelette wraps in the same size are also good in winter, although they have less give than the muslin ones.

I'd then use the waffle blanket over the top, tucked in nice and tight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also given a few baby sleeping bags which look like the grobag. In that case does it mean I don't need the blanket over the baby?

And does muslin wraps have any other use beside wrapping the baby? And do u only wrap babies when they r asleep?

Sorry for the super silly questions ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you've been shown how to swaddle really well you'll love muslin wraps! Contrary to a PP I found them to be VERY stretchy and easy to use. They are great on days that are not so cold and just for general wrapping. Don't stress though.. Most babies only wanna be wrapped for a few weeks at most.

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***