+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default So angry toilet trained dd and inlaws use a pull-up!

I am fuming right now. So my husband takes dd over to inlaws today to give me a break because I have been up and down with her all night. I really appreciate this, had such a relaxing day. They came home about an Hour ago and I find she is wearing pull-ups! I am furious. Apprarently she wee'd in her only pair of undies and he didnt think to take spares even though I asked him if he had everything before he left!! Grrr! So they go out and buy a pack of pull ups when a small pack of undies would have cost the same price. She has been toilet trained for about a month now and the last few days she has been getting a bit cocky/lazy - refusing to let us in the toilet with her when she goes, then just mucking around flushing buttons. Won't sit on the toilet when we ask her. But so what? I am sure kids take 2 steps forward 1 step back with things but the whole pull-up idea just infuriates me for so many reasons.

1. I loosely followed the 3 day toilet training routine and think its unfair to put her back in daytime nappies. Too confusing for her.

2. I have put in a huge amount of effort to train her and they aren't recognizing this by doing what's easiest for them.

3. I think pull ups are the biggest load of cr*p. Just a marketing gimmick to keep kids in nappies longer.

4. We used cloth 100% in the 12 months before her being trained and occasionally used disposables in the past before this.

Now dh and I aren't talking because he doesn't understand why I am so angry. And my other problem is how do I address dd mucking around with the toilet now? I've tried bribes: smarties and getting to watch Winnie the pooh and she won't respond to either. Oh and now I am going to have to say something to mil who bought the pull ups because I don't want them used on dd EVER. Grrrr so angry I have been put in this position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think this is something to stress over.

She can't be fully toilet trained if she's still wetting herself... and they probably didn't want to buy a pack of undies if they feel she might wee in them too... nobody likes cleaning up pee.

I'd just let it go. It's a once-off. It's not a big deal. Make sure undies are packed next time and move on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Seraph8  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with SassyMummy, it's not worth stressing over.

I guess they figured because she had done a wee in her pants that she wasn't fully tt'd yet so bought the pull ups - just tell them you would rather they didn't do it again and move on.
    if you are feeling stressed and DD is mucking around with TT then i would consider just leaving it for a while and trying again later - in my experience when children are really ready to be TT they don't muck around, they just do it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Seraph8  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How old is she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think a day in pull ups will be a big setback.

I agree they are a marketing scam. I bought a packet but never used them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with you OP its your daughter and you have every right to be frustrated. Matbe have a word to your mil and ask that she respects your parenting choices, I'm sure it was not done intentionaly.

In regards to getting your dd to stay on the toilet have you tried sitting in there to read her favourite story. That used to get my dd to stay for longer but some times she would do the running wee. Where she would take off out of the toilet only to begin peeing mid run

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with you op I'd be annoyed too. IMO putting her back in pullups after the accident would send a message age is being punished for an accident. Dd has been fully toilet trained for over 6 months but still has an occasional accident. It would of made more sense to buy some knickers and leave the others at the inlaws place for other times she may need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe just tell them that u would prefer they didn't use them and buy some undies to keep at their place in case of accidents. My DD has been toilet training for almost a month now and she spent the entire wkend in pull ups last wkend and it's made no difference. I bought toy story ones to try and convince her to wear them for bed and she liked it so much she wanted to wear them all the time. She never once wet them the whole wkend and I took her to the shop on the Monday and got her to pick out some new undies. She hasnt worn the pull up again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would let anyone who gave me a break from my kids put a pull up on them! lol
    Hope she didn't wee on their carpet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmm, I think it's fair to feel frustrated, but I agree it's one day and not worth stressing over. My dd was day trained at 13 months, but wore a nappy on long trips which did not set her back at all. Also, pullups might have been cheaper. I've seen them for $8 a pack on special, whereas knickers might have cost more. I imagine your inlaws may have felt frustrated at having nothing to change their grandchild into, they had to make a snap decision. Can't really blame them for choosing pullups when nothing was provided. Not their fault.