+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How many Swimming Lessons to learn to swim

For those who put your child in swimming lessons how long did it take you LO to be able to swim? How many lessons/ weeks? Dd has had 2 lessons so far with vast improvement the second time from the first still a way to go yet but she's so excited and happy to learn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like your DD is doing well, and it is great that she loves it! Mine have had lessons since they were 2 and it has been ongoing progress since then- from water safety, to floaties, to breathing etc. DS1 (5) now swims 2 laps of freestyle (the pool is about 10m long) and DS2 (4) is slower to learn, but has just come off floaties and is mastering his breathing before he moves on to 'big arms' and learning proper strokes. We will keep having lessons long after they can swim as I want them to have safety knowledge, technique and strength in the water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds has been doing swimming lessons for about 6 weeks, he just started to put his head under but kicks really well, I think it really depends on the child some learn faster than others and what age they start at

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My daughter has had lessons on and off since 6 months, but has had lessons every week for the last 12 months.

She can't really swim. She has improved, but she would drown if left alone. She can swim about 4 metres of dog paddle before starting to go under. She's almost 4.

She can put her head under and up again and kick, but can't swim freestyle on her own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, but I actually really did LOL. How many weeks/lessons. How many years would be a better question with my girls LOL.

That's good that your DD is doing so well though.

DD1 was petrified. Started lessons at 4yrs and cried even if only her big toes were in the water. It took her about a term to stop crying about actually be happy about getting in the water. Paddling by herself probably about another year, then maybe close to a year to get the hang of the freestyle arms before she was able to move up to the next class to learn breathing. Even then though she was still scared and it was a very long process for her.

Then just when we thought things couldn't possibly be worse than with DD1, along came DD2. LOL She was a screamer and it was much much worse than DD1. Then she stopped screaming and actually liked swimming but still took a long time to learn to swim. But then jumping/diving in still resulted in tears and screaming that she didn't want to die. She was able to do 5 freestyle arms and a torpedo a short distance by about 6yrs old. (So, it took 3 yrs) She moved up to learn breathing but still cried about diving in. That stopped at about 7yrs.

DD3 (DD2's twin) loved swimming right from the start. The problem with her though is she would start swimming but stop and smile and look at what everyone else was doing. Or smile at us and look over at DD1 swimming. And diving in, well she did love it but she would jump and sink and the teacher always had to grab her from the bottom of the water! She thought it was great! Which is why I never went swimming on my own with the girls. It took her about the same time as DD2 to move up to the next level. But from then on she has moved up each term very quickly. She is in a squad now and loves it.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 29-04-2012 at 16:53.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

Psylent  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What am i looking at for swimming lessons approx? Our DD is 18 months old and i would just like her to be able to know how to get to the side of the pool etc if she fell in and not panic, we arent planning on ongoing lessons.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think every child is different.

My dd is 5 and he's been doing lessons every week for a year and I would say he still can't swim. Would I trust him to get to the edge of the pool if he fell in? No, I wouldn't. He might manage it and he knows that's what he should do, but I'm not sure he would be ok. My ds is cautious though & this stops him taking risks easily in swimming lessons like jumping in at the deep end readily/etc. Other children I see are more adventerous and I think they are learning to be confident swimmers earlier.

If you start at 18 months does it speed up the process? Maybe, maybe not. I see lots of kids at my ds's swimming lessons who have been having lessons since babies and yet they still aren't independent at 4.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started both our girls swimming lessons around their 1st birthday. They go 1/2 an hour a week, for 4 x 10 week terms a year. Lessons for the 2 of them cost $1000 a year.

DD1 is 4 next week and has improved considerable in the last 6 months. She can swim about 10 metres, turning her head to breathte, and kicking with "big arms". She can float, jump in from the side of the pool, turn herself around and get back to the side and get out again, and she can swim down to the bottom of the pool and retrieve an object. Her progress since she started swimming has been slow and steady.

DD2 has done 5 terms now. She did so well in her first term of baby classes they moved her up to the toddler class the next term, but she's stayed at the same level since. She loves going to swimming, but I can't say her skills have improved much. She just prefers to lie back, relax and have fun in the pool. I'm going to talk to the supervisor about moving her up to the next level next term. I think she needs a nudge and I suspect being in the pool without DH will make her start trying a bit harder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter (5) has just had her first lesson with school today. She's been in water plenty before, we live near the coast, just never actual lessons. She likes the water, and was excited to start... until she got there today and they tried to get her to do the head in the water thing. She cries at bathtime if water gets on her face, in her ears, nose, etc. and always has, no matter how many times it happens. She now says she doesn't want to go back tomorrow, or get in a pool "ever again". Any tips on how we can help her? Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I'm worried about her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Psylent ... my ds started lessons at 4 and a bit and was similar. It took nearly a whole term to get him putting his head under water without protest. He had a good teacher who was kind, but firm. And by saying firm I mean she said "If you don't put your head under water by the time I count to 3 then I'll do it for you". I struggled to watch honestly and wasn't sure how I felt about her 'firmness', but it worked. Eventually he'd put his head under (for about 3 microseconds initially) and now he'll do it readily.

She told him to have a shower and practice putting his head under the shower. Strangely enough having his teacher tell him to do this worked SO much better than us doing it.

I'd say persist. Try a shower (if you can) and get her playing with having water on her face. Keep it fun though, rather than distressing. Remember even a tiny splash on her head/face in the shower is a success to start with.