+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Ask your pharmacist about immigran in pregnancy. They can check what category it is.
    Imagrin is a definite no no! It causes labor and miscarriage! My father in law is a pharmacist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    TinyLittleTootsies - I've just cut out coffee, I'm now caffeine free.
    Yeah, I didn't have caffeine in my diet when I started getting migraines, so it is definitely not causing it. When i don't keep up with it, they start coming back again and get worse over time. Cutting it out completely (like last 2 pregnancies and while breastfeeding made me really sick with them, as in getting them almost weekly, and caffeine leaves your body after a short time, so getting the migraines wasn't related to withdrawal as the migraines didn't start for a month or two) Apparently consuming it helps for 40% of migraine sufferers. The doctor helped me get the amount right to drink per day. It was that, or tablets that cost $50 a tablet to prevent it and do the same thing, only better, but aren't safe in pregnancy.

Turns out my Mum and one of my sisters are the same. Mum spent her whole life getting them and I told her about drinking coffee so she started (never drank it before) and her migraines started being less of a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with elleandsam with taking magnesium supplements

Thanks
    Reviews
    Magnesium supplements helped me and I was also recommended to try Vitamin B (12?) for the nausea that I get with the migraine.

Hope you find something that helps (and that is suitable to take whilst pregnant) - its no fun coping with migraines at the best of times...

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those that said Imigran...
    I get pretty bad migraines that I currently use aspirin for which doesn't do too much... How did you go about getting Imigran???

(sorry to crash your thread op just curious and keen to get this)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post
    I get pretty bad migraines that I currently use aspirin for which doesn't do too much... How did you go about getting Imigran???

Script from doc. Not a cheap medicine about $25 a nasal spray.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Yeah, I didn't have caffeine in my diet when I started getting migraines, so it is definitely not causing it. When i don't keep up with it, they start coming back again and get worse over time. Cutting it out completely (like last 2 pregnancies and while breastfeeding made me really sick with them, as in getting them almost weekly, and caffeine leaves your body after a short time, so getting the migraines wasn't related to withdrawal as the migraines didn't start for a month or two) Apparently consuming it helps for 40% of migraine sufferers. The doctor helped me get the amount right to drink per day. It was that, or tablets that cost $50 a tablet to prevent it and do the same thing, only better, but aren't safe in pregnancy.

Turns out my Mum and one of my sisters are the same. Mum spent her whole life getting them and I told her about drinking coffee so she started (never drank it before) and her migraines started being less of a problem.
    That is very interesting!
    In year 12 and throughout uni I suffered migraines, assumed it was FROM the coffee ( I wasn't a heavy drinker, a couple a day) but cut them out, thinking they caused the migraines.
    And assuming it was withdrawls from the coffee.

And also assumed it was the pill, which I haven't used for years.

Have suffered with them in frst 16-20 week of pregnancy both times.
    After first son I had them for months (assuming hormone changes with BF, co-sleeping putting my neck out, lack of sleep etc).

But mine sound so similar to yours.

I get the aura, and i know its coming, say I'll be watching tv, it's like I look at the tc but can't focus on it, then comes the zigzags that grow til they take over both eyes. can last up to about 30 minutes with aura then it goes, and usually am left with the headache/yuck feeling. I don't get tehm as debilitating as some people do though.
    The only times they have made me vomit was in my first pregnancy.

OP sorry not much advice, maybe see a chiro, try the supps, I am a regular tea drinker these days (since not drinking coffee), hopefully the hormones settle for you and you get some relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post

pretty sure imigran is on an authority script ( it was when i had it several years ago) 4 tablets cost around $30 from memory back then. Not cheap if you need a couple each migraine and suffer frequently...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine are definately hormone related, the sound EXACTLY like BMJ's. I know if i suspect I ham getting one I have to leave where I am straight away to get home, or I will be stuck. Then the after a while the aura starts to fade and it feels like someone has stuck a dagger through my eye, diagonally through to the base of my skull on the other side

I havent had one in about a year. It appears mine have always been triggered by some foods as well. They decreased substantially after removing artificial sweetner from my diet (from 2 a week, to about once a fortnight) then i went off the pill. After I had my last bub I got an IUD and started getting them once a week again. I have also cut gluten from my diet as well, which i think helps.

The only time I get them now is if I have Coke/Pepsi etc, I suspect its the preservatives.

Good luck, I hope you find something that helps you. Migraines are the worst
    Last edited by Pregnor; 29-04-2012 at 22:42.

Zakmick is offline Can't change the past, but we can learn from it to make us stronger and move forward!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I use to get 5 a week, but have cut gluten out of my diet and lactose to a degree, I get maybe 1 every 2/3 mths now.
    They are horrible, and unless you have had one no one knows the pain they cause.