+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You aren't over-reacting at all!

I'd be so miffed if someone told me I could not use a name because it was there "just in case" name.

I'd be so tempted to use the name in spite of her if I really did like it.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    IMO its your baby and your decision.

If a name you like is one your SIL does as well. You should still choose it, if its what you want.

No one should EVER tell you what you can or cannot call your child.

My sister told me 3 names I wasn't allowed. She's just lucky I don't like any of them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stuff her! Name your child whatever you like regardless if she wants the name. Unless she is actively trying and the name has been decided on 100% or been decided on for a long time ... She has no claim rights.

I didn't find out the gender of DS when I was pregnant with him so I told immediate family the names we had decided on. My family knows we're trying for our next once DS is between 3 - 6 months old and that the name Amelia is off limits as we decided that will be the name if we have a girl when I was 5 weeks pregnant with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a close family friend who had a boy a few months ago. Not only did she use my DS1's first name but also his middle name. Which is my husband's name! We were a little shocked at the time. But now we just have a laugh and feel like its a compliment on our lovely name choices

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugglemuffin View Post
    Stuff her! Name your child whatever you like regardless if she wants the name. Unless she is actively trying and the name has been decided on 100% or been decided on for a long time ... She has no claim rights.

I didn't find out the gender of DS when I was pregnant with him so I told immediate family the names we had decided on. My family knows we're trying for our next once DS is between 3 - 6 months old and that the name Amelia is off limits as we decided that will be the name if we have a girl when I was 5 weeks pregnant with DS.
    Just my opinion, but I disagree. You have a 50/50 shot of conceiving a girl - why should someone else not name their child a name they love because you love it too and might possibly conceive a girl? Lots of people share names with others - I wouldn't choose the same name as someone in my family for my child, but I also wouldn't lay claim to a name for a potential future child. If someone told me I couldn't use a name for this reason & then never used it themselves - either through not conceiving that sex or another reason, I'd be mighty annoyed that they'd forced me not to use it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

LoveyDovey  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I have been on the receiving end of someone using a name we'd had our heart set on for years, at a time we were actively ttc for a number of years. But we thought stuff it, we're naming him what we planned and we have no contact with them now anyway.

But I would never tell someone a list of names they can't use I find that a bit bizarre tbh... and rude.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

becandabub  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haha, I've dibsed a name and there will be fury if someone else uses it.

We've had variations and it's been used as a middle name (all to honour my DH), but the name as I've dibsed it and it has been passed down is reserved until I decide I'm done with kids or name a son that.

My daughter is a something-Rose and SIL who has a somethingelse-Rose spat tacks when I named my DD (10 years younger, lives in a different country). I wasn't going to pass on a family tradition because she'd used a very common end to a hyphenated name. It's also SILs DDs middle name rather than her first, but they call their kids by their middle names.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I find it funny here how when someone mentions that a friend or family member named their baby 'their' name, people say how dare they, it was your name etc etc.

DP and I have two names (for a boy and girl + a gender neutral middle name) which are incredibly special to us.

We haven't told anyone those names but if we did, we still don't believe they are 'our' names iykwim. We don't hold ownership of the names.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I find it funny here how when someone mentions that a friend or family member named their baby 'their' name, people say how dare they, it was your name etc etc.
    Funny, but not surprising.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dh has his heart set on the name Austin which i don't love but I can live with it. We had chosen the name when i was pg with DD and i told my sister our boys names i loved Cooper and Dh loved Austin. I now have a nephew 9 months younger than DD and his name is Cooper Austin. My hubby maintains we will still use the name he loves but i don't think we should now which suits me hehe. My point is as dissapointing it is I got over it, I may NEVER have a boy or another child for that matter so I just don't get upset about those sorts of things. if you love the name use it because chances are your SIL will get over it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilMuffin For This Useful Post:

becandabub  (09-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (09-05-2012)