+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confusion about dates

Hi all, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out...

I have found myself unexpectedly pregnant (but by no means unwanted!).My DD is 10 months old, I stopped breastfeeding a couple of months ago and have had one full cycle in mid March. I did a HPT on thurs 12/4 which was negative, but got a BFP on Sunday 15th. I had a blood test on Friday 20th, which showed HCG levels indicating 4-5 weeks pregnant (which fits with my dates).

However, after some stomach cramps and light spotting on Anzac day, I went in to have my dating scan a week earlier than I planned to. So I had my scan on Thursday, and the girl could see that I had recently ovulated from my left ovary and there was a dark spot within my uterus which could be a pregnancy sac, but she told me it was only measuring at 3-4 weeks, so my dates must be wrong. She told me there was no point in doing an internal scan because it was still so little that there would be nothing to see yet.

I left a bit shattered because I know my dates are firm (even though it was not a fully planned pregnancy), but now I feel as though the girl who did the scan really should have done the internal, in my previous pregnancy they couldn't see anything on the transabdominal scan, but got her heartbeat on the internal. I am kicking myself that I didn't push her to do the internal and the report said "nothing can be given from this scan" and recommended another in 2-3 weeks, which just leaves me in limbo (add the fact that she had to bill me for a pelvic ultrasound because they didn't see a heartbeat and it cost me an extra $20 and you have a rather unhappy lady!).

Can anyone tell me if they have had similar experiences of their "sac" measuring smaller than it should and how the pregnancy turned out?

Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the ultrasound. As a sonographer, at our practice we always do an internal in early pregs, especially if there is discrepancy in the dates. There is no way they should have refused to do it especially when you wanted it done. Often we cant see anything through the abdomen and then you pop the internal in and there it is!
    We often have ladies who are a week or two behind on the ultrasound even when they have definite dates.. just one of those things, the ultrasounds are not perfect and even if you know when your period was you may have ovulated late... and then the sperm may have taken their time finding the egg too... all of that can add up to a fair bit of date discrepancy.

Hopefully the next couple of weeks will go quickly and fingers-crossed the little one decides to show up clearly at your next scan.
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope everything turns out for you. I know how you must feel. My story is a bit different to yours, I was 7weeks pregnant with DD2 when i went for an ultrasound, they could see the lining had thicken but not baby present. I was told it looks like a missed miscarriage. I mourned my loss over the next week, i was prepared to see nothing but to my suprise the next ultrasound showed a perfect baby heartbeat great measurements, she is a healthy 8 month girl. You might have thought your dates were right you could be out my a week DD1 was out by about a week. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't lose hope! I did IVF which is as definite as dates could be, but I still measured in 3-4 days smaller than my dates. My gyne said the embryo prob just took its time embedding in my uterus there are so many factors, ovulating later than usual, actual conception occurring later than usual...

Plus the fact she was checking with an abdominal ultrasound is just ridiculous! I've had a lot of early scans done and I've ALWAYS been given internal/vaginal ultrasounds, up till my 8th week in fact.

I'd go back to that ultrasound place and kick up a stink if I were you!

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moose81 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the ultrasound. As a sonographer, at our practice we always do an internal in early pregs, especially if there is discrepancy in the dates. There is no way they should have refused to do it especially when you wanted it done. Often we cant see anything through the abdomen and then you pop the internal in and there it is!
    We often have ladies who are a week or two behind on the ultrasound even when they have definite dates.. just one of those things, the ultrasounds are not perfect and even if you know when your period was you may have ovulated late... and then the sperm may have taken their time finding the egg too... all of that can add up to a fair bit of date discrepancy.

Hopefully the next couple of weeks will go quickly and fingers-crossed the little one decides to show up clearly at your next scan.
    xx
    I have also had confusion in dates! Thanks to your previous post I am feeling better about it! I had my scan today. I thought I was 6 +2 weeks but I am only measuring 5+4weeks. They could see the yolk sac, fetal pole and the heat rate was 98bpm.

So, I either ovulated later in my cycle or the baby isn't growing well. I'm encouraged by seeing the heartbeat but worried as would you normally see the heartbeat that early (5+4weeks)?

They recommended a follow up scan in a week but I'm going OS tomorrow, so I may need to get the scan over there.

Fingers crossed its all good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your comments and sorry for the late reply!

I went back for another scan last week and thankfully they found a wee little heartbeat and dated the pregnancy at 7w (which means the previous scan would have been just shy of 5w). This means that my bloods and the embryo dates all match up which is definitely reassuring!

I am still rather unimpressed with the radiology practice though. She told me last week that she was having some trouble dating it because it was still only so little and she couldn't see very clearly. This while still only performing an external scan. I was not offered an internal scan at the second appointment to get a bit more clarity or make it easier for her to date it (I am starting to think this practice doesn't have any internal probes to be honest).

But, just to rub salt into the already infected wound I have with this particular practice, I went to the counter to pay and after receiving my receipt realised I had been charged for the more expensive scan again, when I questioned it, I was told it was different depending on what stage of pregnancy it was, I told them I was previously told that it depending on whether they had seen a heartbeat and they had that day. The receptionist then told me that it probably didn't make a difference and I had to tell her that I had paid $20 more than I should have. Finally they called down to ultrasound and said a name, I thought "hang on, that isn't me" checked the invoice and I had been given the wrong billing slip and been charged for someone else's ultrasound. After 5 minutes of the receptionists slagging off the sonographer, they got the office manager out to refund the extra $20 and reprint my invoice. Nobody actually bothered to apologise to me for the mix up (but I did notice that the next person who showed up with his billing slip had his name checked).

It also irritates me when places don't do automatic medicare claiming, especially when I know another practice on the other side of town does. grrrr!

I guess this kid is going to be very expensive, already cost me $220 before it was the size of a grain of rice (basmati, not arborio), but at least I know there is something in there now and only one