+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definite Yes from here. DD was in our room for the first 4mths in a basinette and new bub will be in our room in the cot right next to me.

PP have mentioned how babies base their breathing patterns on mum/dad... they cant pick it up from next door.

plus its very reassuring to wake up turn over and see their little chests rise/fall when they breathe (if they dont keep you up snoring!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It goes without saying that every parent will have differing opinions on what they feel is the 'right' thing to do in terms of having/not having a newborn room with them.

For us, I need to have my newborn in the room with us, in a Basinette right beside our bed next to me. I need to have them there for my own peace of mind that they're breathing, comfortable, know I am close and logistically so that I can demand breastfeed with ease and not have to fully wake myself up by going to another room.

I also can't stop gazing when I have a newborn, I love to look at bub and marvel at them and when they're happily sleeping beside me where I can see (alebit in a Basinette), I am happy and contented. Our last baby moved out of our room only a month ago to transition her to her own room in a Cot beofre this newborn arrives and it has taken my DH and I the month to get used to not heairng/seeing her there in our room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    as with most parenting choices, it is entirely up to you.​ BUT sids and kids give the safest option, whereby babies are at less risk being in parents rooms. And i doubt bells and whistles on the cot would change that too much. If you are concerned about a bassinet, why not try to rearrange your room? move out any bedside tables, drawers, dressers etc, and try to fit the cot in that way. even if it is squashed right beside your bed. the only place i wouldn't put it is near the windows. failing that it would get a plain, unadorned bassinet, and stick with that for as long as bub fits.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-04-2012),me+he&she=three  (29-04-2012)

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS was in a bassinet in our room, right next to me.
    We tried to put him straight in the cot when we got home from hospital, but he didn't want a bar of it.
    The only thing was that every 15 minutes I kept getting up to look at him

He went into his own room in his cot when he was around 6 months, which is when he was too heavy for the bassinet anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's personal choice, everyone is different.

I bed shared with my 3 till they were 6 months old & moved into their own room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about this dilemma, when DD was born, we were living in a unit and there was no way we were going to be able to fit basinette in there for her. I also found that she would need a nappy change mid feed anyway, so I wouldn't have been able to stay in my cosy bed for night feeds. I was comfortable with a movement monitor on and I could hear her from bed if she made any noise. I didn't have any problems transitioning her to a cot as she slept in it from about day 7 (we had her in a safe sleeper in our bed until we got the motion monitor set up).

Thanks
    Reviews
    The bassinet's that are used in hospitals are available to rent or buy. If you are worried about the safety of a bassinet that might be an option - they wouldn't use them in the hospital if they weren't safe.

My DS slept in our room in a bassinet for the first 3 months, by 4 months he was rolling in his sleep so was safer in his cot from then on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    SIDS risks isn't an exact science. It's statics and factors that might contribute to sudden deaths with no apparent cause.

Reduce as many risk factors as you can, but I think with a breathing monitor, safe cot environment, no tummy sleeping etc. really *should* be fine.

IMO another important step with all that is learn CPR so if that monitor does alarm (and it's not a false alarm) you know what you need to do.

Though SIDS aside it is easier to room share with a newborn because most newborns wake to feed every 2-3 hours and so it might be easier if you possibly can rearrange your room to somehow get a cot in. Or maybe get a single or double bed for the nursery?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    It's personal choice, everyone is different.

I bed shared with my 3 till they were 6 months old & moved into their own room.
    That is pretty cute bed sharing with them all. I imagine it might be as restful as.., well... Sharing your bed with 3 babies, but the mental image is adorable. Like a litter of human kittens.

(sorry I'm just in bed with my 7 week old imagining how cute another 2 of her would be asleep right now. Lol)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

share a book  (29-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Karenjanef View Post
    Oh and my dd is almost 9kg and 6.5mths and she is still in it she doesn't roll over during the night though so if she did & started trying to crawl around then I would change her to the cot
    Thanks - this is the bassinet I found recommended by choice magazine and others on the net because of improved safety so will definately go ahead and buy that and keep our baby in our room with us for as long as possible. Thanks again to you and everyone for the great feedback!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (29-04-2012)