+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should a newborn share parents bedroom?

Hi all

Just a quick question which I am having a hard time finding a straight forward answer to - as there appears to be lots of conflicting advice on the internet....is it best for a newborn to share the parents room in a bassinet or is it just as safe for it to be in the adjacent nursery in a proper cot with safety features?

We bought a top of the line Kaloo cot with a breathe eze mattress which fits snuggly and has breathable fibres for when baby is old enough to turn over and might somehow face plant, an oricom respiratory monitor and baby monitor and plan to use the swaddle me and grobag wraps/bags with nothing else in the cot. However in reading the SIDS website today, it suggests newborns should sleep in the parents room for at least 6 if not 12 months.

We can't fit all this in our room, so would need to put the baby in just a bassinet...and I believe these aren't really proven to any real australian safety standards....so I guess my question is, what is your view on bassinet in our room vs a tricked up cot in another room. Also does anyone know why SIDS recommend this? ie is it to do with us monitoring breathing and being able to respond quicker and/or that the baby feels safer and sleeps better being adjacent to us.

Any advice or views on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Kathy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's best because you can hear the baby breathing and check to make sure they are in the correct position. I personally wouldn't be comfortable having mine in a different room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You'll get differing opinions on what to do on here. SIDS do recommend having bubs in your room, but you need to do what you feel comfortable with.

DS went straight into his cot in his own room when I came home from hospital. DD was in a basinette in our room for about 10 days before moving to her room. She would have gone straight into her room but we needed to paint and sort it out first.

I didn't sleep well with her in our room. She's very noisy as babies are and kept me awake with every little noise. I can still hear her from her own room, but only wake up when she cries or is very loud.

So do what you feel comfortable with. Whether that's baby in your room, baby in own room or co-sleeping. Just do what you feel will work best for your family

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.sidsandkids.org/safe-sleeping/

It is recommended they sleep in your room for the first 6-12 months.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have co slept with my other 5 and I will be with this one too. I am a strong believer in the benefits of co sleeping.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

austmum  (29-04-2012),Bellaxo  (29-04-2012),Lillynix  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, separate room is a SIDS risk factor. They need a safe sleeping environment within close proximity of the parents for at least the first 6 months, I took it longer after a 3yo we know died from SIDS years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both my babies in our room for the first 6 weeks. Then I did day sleeps in their cot for a month or so after that, and then completely in their cot by about 3 months.

I put the baby monitor sensor pads in the bassinet. It worked for us as I liked the comfort of having them next to me and it was much easier to just sit up, pick them up and pop them on the boob come feed time rather than get up and walk to another room. Same if they are unsettled and you need to pat them, you can lie down next to them and just put your arm out. Every bit of rest helps when you have a newborn!

I am not sure if a 6 month old would still fit comfortably in a bassinet. Mine certainly wouldn't, but I have huge bubbas! Do what is right for you. I am a huge believer in following SIDs guidelines as I have lost family to SIDS. But they are a general guide and you will get to know your baby and what suits them. Both my bubs had very strong neck movements and I knew that they could easily move their head if they needed to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Honeymoonbub For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ds was in our room in a bassinette for 6 months which was perfect for us

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine would not have fit in a bassinet for 6 months but many people use a side car cot if they are unable to safely sleep with baby in the bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes a baby should share the parents room for the first 6 months minimum, it's a proven sids risk not to.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (29-04-2012)