+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 5 year old has been in her bedroom since she was a bub, and my 18 month old too.... With my one year old we shut the door so he can't get out and he just plays with his toys until its wake-up time. My 5 year old gets up, goes to the loo, gets food out, p,as, watches tv.... Nothing's off limits for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    4yo doesn't wander about, never has. There aren't any toys in their rooms so nothing really to play with or do. 4yo will usually get up in the morning and go to the lounge room and play her iPod.
    21 month old is still in a cot so not much she can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You teach them how to act appropriately in their room, and don't allow access to anything dangerous in there.

You can also put a safety gate in front of their bedroom door so if they wake, they're restricted to the bedroom if they're not trustworthy.

She occasionally made a mess of her toys and stuff as a toddler once she was in a real bed rather than a cot, but it wasn't anything that bad.

You can get clocks too, which tell them it's okay to be awake or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 4.5 year old has been in her own room since 12 months. Never had an issue with her wondering around. If she wakes during the night she comes in and wakes one of us and we put her back to bed, in the morning if she is first up she will either wake us up or go to the lounge and turn the tv on and get herself breakfast. Once she gets bored she comes and gets me. I guess because it's just what she has always known, she knows the rules and what she is or isn't allowed to do. She gets into mischief sometimes, like pouring honey over the bench or sneaking food she knows she shouldnt (like ice cream) but they are minor things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd has been in her own room full since about 2ish yrs old and she only ever goes to the toilet or into my bed at night. She's never wondered outside or stayed up playing/ watching tv. I was worried at first too and would check on her all the time during the night lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All pretty uneventful here too. My ds is 5 and has been in his own room from 3 months of age. He virtually never comes out of his room at bedtime (maybe 5 times ever) ... he'll lie in bed screaming for us, but he won't come out . As for mornings we're trying to get him to come out of his room, but he prefers to call out for us to come into him. We love it when he gets out of his bed & comes in to us in our bed instead (he rarely wakes before 6:30am). He will get up & go to the toilet, but it's rare (he is such a sound sleeper that we're having no success with o/n toilet training yet).

But I have been able to have an afternoon nap for a year (since he was 4.5) and trust him to be fine ... I sleep in the room off the lounge & have the door open. He comes into me if he needs me, or gets his own food, changes the tv channels or chooses the show on the dvr he wants, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Very uneventful here, bedrooms are for sleeping & nothing more. We've constantly reminded the kids that they don't go in there to play. We don't keep toys in bedrooms so there is no need to play in there.

J has always had his own room & never been a problem. It's the girls who've always shared that have midnight chat fests.