+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids in own room... Don't they cause havoc?

My son is 4.5 and due to co sleeping and the house we live in currently he is in our room. I'm wondering.. When the time comes to move him to his own room, how do you make sure they are safe? Do they get up and wonder about the house while you're asleep?

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have a 4.5yr old and he knows what he can and cant touch in the house so its fine for him to get up in the morning without me. He has always been in the same room but goes between my room and his most nights.

I can sleep during the day no issues and he will stay upstairs. I ask him to lock the back door and stay upstairs and he does. He just plays quietly and eats whatever while i sleep.

He only has a tv in his room. He doesnt like toys in there which is fine with me as i have no issues with that at all.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my 4.5yr old has always been in her own room, she's never wandered further than the bathroom or to me in my bed at night time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My kids have all had their own rooms. My 2 1/2 year old went through a stage where he would get up in the middle of the night and play with toys but apart from that stage they either just go to the bathroom, or come straight to us even though our bedroom is at the opposite end of the house.
    I don't worry about my 4.5 year old being up before us at all. It's really only the 2 1/2 year old we need to keep an eye on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    all kids are different. my now 8 yo stills gets up and she used to wonder the house, and we have had to lock our kitchen (no flames please) because she was taking food. my 5 yo only gets up to use the toilet, and i'm still cosleeping with our 18 month old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope, never wandered further than the toilet and back. I don't think she was ever bothered wandering in the night, it was dark, everyone was in bed so nothing exciting was ever happening and it was all pretty boring.
    When she was round 2 and a half and had just started using the toilet instead of a potty in her room at night, we put a safety gate across the hall, so she had access to the bathroom, her bedroom, our bedroom and the spare room, but that was it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We too have a roamer so we have installed a safety gate at the top of the stairs... so she is restricted to her room and ours... but she is so fricking noisy that we can hear her get up and move around. She always comes to us to take her to the toilet. We have to keep that door shut cos she thinks its great to drink the toilet water.

DD is 20mths old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like it will be nice for him to have his own room when the time comes Make the move to his own room a positive thing for him- something he can be proud of- and perhaps set a few 'rules' or 'reminders' if you think he is going to wake up and wander during the night. As for safety in his room- I have ALWAYS drilled bookcases (and cupboards if necessary) to the wall in case there is a desire to climb to reach higher shelves. Also, if you must have a bedside lamp, chose a low-amp safety bedside lamp. I don't use heaters or pedestal fans in their either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Sounds like it will be nice for him to have his own room when the time comes Make the move to his own room a positive thing for him- something he can be proud of- and perhaps set a few 'rules' or 'reminders' if you think he is going to wake up and wander during the night. As for safety in his room- I have ALWAYS drilled bookcases (and cupboards if necessary) to the wall in case there is a desire to climb to reach higher shelves. Also, if you must have a bedside lamp, chose a low-amp safety bedside lamp. I don't use heaters or pedestal fans in their either.
    Thanks! Your answer is what I was after :-) I'm paranoid someone will break into his room and take him in the night! And yes, hes a wonderer.. Even now he'll speak out of my room to go to the lounge and watch tv. Often ill find him watching tv eating food he shouldn't be lol. I get up at 6am but hes often up earlier and is sneaky..

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS sleep walks, but our house is very child safe. He usually wanders into my bedroom.