+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default NK Cells and treatment

Hi all, would love to hear of anyone's experience on prednislone and doxycycline. Any major side effects and how you felt while on them.
    My story is MFI, 7 unsuccessful ICSI's, the last 2 Chemical (they were the only BT's I ever got to have as AF came before we had a chance) the last cycle using donor sperm. After me requesting an endo biopsy for possible NK cells 2 years ago and the clinic kind of poo-pooing the idea, they finally agreed that it might be a good idea. We attempted one in February but they couldn't seem to get into the uterus and unfortunately got a biopsy of my cervix instead. We went ahead with the March cycle as per normal protocol ending with the chem preg. I've just had my follow-up consult and requested another try at the biopsy but they have refused to do another one. FS thinks they will do the next cycle (June) treating me as though I do have NK cells but without the confirmed diagnosis. Not really sure what to do about this. I would love to get a second opinion from another clinic but as I live in Darwin we are very restricted as we only have one.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences on this.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Troppogirl, sorry don't have time to answer at the moment, bub is calling but I will try to respond when I get a chance

Zakmick is offline Can't change the past, but we can learn from it to make us stronger and move forward!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Troppogirl,
    I questioned my FS on NK cells too and he said he would rather treat me as though i had them instead of doing a biopsy. He put me on a low dose of steroids from day of transfer for 5 days. I'm now 5 wks 5 days pregnant.
    Last year i had 3 consectutive bfp, that ended in 2 m/c and 1 chemical, I have no trouble getting pregnant but hanging on to them is my issue, thats when i started researching NK cells.
    FS assured me that there were few side effects with the steroids for a short time, and instead putting me through another procedure he rathered just treat me- which obviously we agreed.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey i was in a similar boat. 7 bfn got tested and had high nk cells. First cycle on steroids bfn. Second cycle steroids and low dose aspirin gave me my daughter.

Ive started ivf again first cycle same protocol as last time bfn, laparoscopy I had endo removed and currently Stimming again for a fresh transfer, been on steroids since my frat transfer and started aspirin again on cd1 of this cycle. Hoping we get a bfp this time with no endo now.

Side effects, moody and weight gain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Troppo - I was on Prednisolone & Doxy after being diagnosed with high level NK cells. I'd had 2 chem pregs before the testing was done.

I was fairly lucky, I had no side effects to either of the drugs. 1st cycle I was on them I got a BFP. Unfortunately I had a missed miscarriage which was due to bub having Trisomy 15. My FS usually only uses doxy on the 1st cycle but I was fortunate enough to be able to convince him to let me have antibiotics each time.

I was on 20mg prednisolone for 3 cycles (2 fet, 1 fresh) but after the 3rd cycle when I had another chem preg which took 11 weeks and a D&C to resolve, I was put on 30mg (only 2 FS in Aus will prescribe this amount). The only side effect I got from this was a dry mouth.

Fortunately for me I hit gold on my last ever cycle and am now a proud mum to a beautiful daughter. Due to other conditions I was also on other medications but without the Prednisolone, I don't think I would have been fortunate enough to be in the position I am now.

I am guessing you are with Repromed in Darwin? You should be able to request them to discuss your case with some FS's in Adelaide. There are a couple that are fantastic, let me know if you want their names.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Troppogirl,

Sorry I can't help you but I have asked my FS to test for NK cells after 3 BFN's. I am having a hysteroscopy and biopsy the end of next week.

For those who have had treatment do you only take the steroids after transfer? Or from the start of your cycle? I am hoping to go straight onto a FET but not sure how long it will take to get the results.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Steroids from cd1. I had a fet in February and started the steroids on cd1. Bfn and a laparoscopy a couple of weeks ago I haven't come off them, I am having a transfer next week and will stay on them until I get my bfp

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey troppogirl

I'm in Darwin and just had a biopsy done today. Repromed must be reviewing things, because this was suggested after 3 transfers. Also had a heap of bt's as they're testing for several other things too. Are you with Dr P or Dr G?

How are you going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do they test for NK Cells?

I asked FS yesterday and he didn't think we were at that stage even though we had 3 bfn's and a failed FET (no transfer), and that we would need to miss a cycle. I didn't ask him any further after that.

From this I took it as you go through a cycle, they extract eggs and fert with sperm then they do the test on the embryo's... is this correct or am I way off? Can't find much on the test online.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 07-06-2012 at 06:46.