+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default bonding activities/time for older kids (say 10-13)

I'm stuck for Idea's on what I can do to reconnect with my SD11
    We do have a great relationship but alot has gone on for SD this year and we are drifting apart.
    I have a 10 month old and SD doesn't seem to understand that playing and cuddles with babies are different to the interaction you have with an 11 year old and SD is starting to feel left out!

She's very clingy and cuddly all the time even in the middle of the Grocery shop she throws her self on you for a hug.

She has a major issue with food and over eating, steals food for comfort eating (I have posted previously about this) It got better but then I found out her mum was still picking on her about her weight and always asking her to report what she'd eaten and how she'd exersiced (like nagging her) making her feel terrible.

I approched her mum in the hope that knowing that we know she has been a bully to SD would encourage her to lay off...
    Nope I made it worse and now SD won't open up to me because her mums told her she isn't allowed to talk to me and no doubt she feels I betrayed her trust (Which I did) I was trying to help her.

I Really want to build my relationship back up with her, I cant talk to her about anything anymore she just clams up she is miserable. Her mum says horrible things about us and is pretty emotionally unstable her self (talking to mum is out of the question) I want her to start feeling good about herself again.

Any ideas on activities we can do that don't involve food, and can be done after 6pm (when bubs in bed) I also don't really want to spoil her because she needs to feel attention and cared about not think she's getting treats and bought love ???

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about a pampering night? Do a facial ( mud mask) paint toe nails, foot soak and feel all girly. Have a nice orange juice or something drink and no boys allowed! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    can you leave the house? If your DH is there...why not start going for walks together?

If you have to stay in...pamper night would be nice...or get a huge jigsaw to work on together (let her chose it)...do you have a Wii...maybe get a dance game and do it togehter (always good for a huge laugh) or a singing one?

Board games always good too...we have a big selection and play often.

Do you sew or anything? maybe make some clothes together...either for her or for the baby.

Do you have her the same nights each week? maybe check out and see if there is a local activity group you could join...pottery or dance or a language...

find out what she is interested in and go from there...common ground will take you a long way and also build her self esteem!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks..

Some great ideas Thanks!
    We can leave the house too

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub