+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Look I don't know what I would do because my DS is only 1yo and I don't know any 7 or 5 yo to compare to BUT I do agree wholeheartedly with Fearless Leader that helicopter parenting is not helpful and that kids are not given enough opportunity to develop their Independence due to scare mongering. I am definitely more in the free-range camp.

My childhood was very free-range and I think this was a good thing. No paedophiles ever came to snatch us from our local park.
    You are lucky, others were not so lucky. I will follow the rules and not leave my child unattended. Call me what you want, I don't care, but my child is safe.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    it is far more dangerous to get in the car and drive to the shops with your kids in the car in the first place. Where is the thread "i'm thinking of getting in a car with my kids, should i risk it?"

Here is just one article with some stats, as i said earlier I am too sick to argue my point properly, but really i have my heckles raised now. The fear of strangers hurting our children is mass hysteria, and does far far more harm than good. You can argue "I don't want to risk it anyway", but i would argue "I don't want to risk my children growing into fearful, incompetent adults"

http://www.crispinhull.com.au/2011/0...-our-children/

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (29-04-2012),bugsy  (29-04-2012),FindMyLunch  (29-04-2012),Guest654  (28-04-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (28-04-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    it is far more dangerous to get in the car and drive to the shops with your kids in the car in the first place. Where is the thread "i'm thinking of getting in a car with my kids, should i risk it?"

Here is just one article with some stats, as i said earlier I am too sick to argue my point properly, but really i have my heckles raised now. The fear of strangers hurting our children is mass hysteria, and does far far more harm than good. You can argue "I don't want to risk it anyway", but i would argue "I don't want to risk my children growing into fearful, incompetent adults"

http://www.crispinhull.com.au/2011/0...-our-children/
    I think I heart you <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    You are lucky, others were not so lucky. I will follow the rules and not leave my child unattended. Call me what you want, I don't care, but my child is safe.
    Lucky perhaps but statistically, normal.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (29-04-2012),Guest654  (28-04-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (28-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    All I know is that I sat in bunnings playgrounds (i used to wait hours for either dh or dd finish work) to know it's not something I would ever do.
    My kids are very independent without needing to leave them alone in these sort of situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Supervising kids in a shopping centre playground where there are usually signs saying 'Do not leave kids unattended' is not helicopter parenting.

We're not talking about whether to hover over them so they never get hurt and never fall, and never talk to a stranger. We're talking about leaving young kids alone in a shopping centre playground while you go shopping.

Two different issues, in my opinion.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-04-2012),Mod-biscotti  (28-04-2012),share a book  (28-04-2012),Witwicky  (29-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    7.5 yrs and almost 3 yr old here.

Would i leave my 7yr old in the ops situation? No way.

We have weekly discussions about stranger danger, but,y little boy cannot be trusted. Most of you know he has autism, and this affects things greatly.

He takes everything literally, and believes everything you say even if its ridiculous.

For example. He came home from school with just dh here. He asked where myself and his brother were. Dh told him i had won a competition to go into space and thats where i was.

He believed it flat out. Even tho dh had a huge smile on his face.

If someone approached him pretending to be whoever and that they were to take him to me, even tho we have talked about it soooo many times. He would still probably believe it, because he cant help it.

Its my job to protect him, so to me, that includes not leaving him to his own devices in public areas alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do not helicopter parent. I do not think its wise to leave a 5 and 7 year old in a playground even if it's visible from the shop. Accidents happen, there are opportunists about, paedophiles are a reality and you just don't know who is about.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Mum2EandR;6532224

And to the PP who mentioned the police saying that it was illegal to leave the child unattended, I'd love to know where that was, because as far as I am aware there are no 'laws' in Australia regarding children playing on their own, as long neglect is not an issue?[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post

And to the PP who mentioned the police saying that it was illegal to leave the child unattended, I'd love to know where that was, because as far as I am aware there are no 'laws' in Australia regarding children playing on their own, as long neglect is not an issue?
    apparently the little girl was crying and when a few parents ( my SIL was one) asked where her mother was she said I don't know she went shopping, someone must have rung the police and when they got there the child was visibly upset, luckily they got out of her her mums phone number, rang the mother who came back in less than a minute and they told her it is illegal to leave a child that age unsupervised in a public place

I personally would not leave a child that age ( looked 5 ish?) unattended not because of pedophile risk but because if he hurt himself , was bullied or just got upset or if anything happened to me I would feel horrible , I'm all for allowing independence but at 5?
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 28-04-2012 at 20:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think there needs to be balance.

I would not leave my children at 4 and 6 in a playground while I shopped - shopping centres in the city give me the wiggins, I also take them with me into public toilets.

I have and do however, allow and encourage my kids to free range. We live rurally and attend sport every weekend and they have their ground rules, but are out of my direct supervision pretty much all day hanging with their kid posse and doing whatever it is they do.

Ultimately though, each parent is doing the best they can and are following their own instincts about their own children.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (29-04-2012)