+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, I wouldn't. Its not the risk of injury or conflict with other kids that most puts me off - its the risk of predators. Children that age aren't able to protect themselves from other adults. So, no, I wouldn't leave them unsupervised in a shopping centre playground.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, sorry.
    Do you have any friends that live nearby that can watch your kids of an hour while you do your shopping or someone that can come watch the kids at the playground while you shop?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I definitely would!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No way- an outside playground is not a babysitter. We all know oru children but do we know the innocent lookign little old granny, or the teenagers or creepy pervs NO- to me its asking for your child to be abducted or abused in some way- why not just go find a paedophile and say here ya go I'm going shopping.
    I am and always have been a single parent my child goes everywhere I go withthe exception of when at school -yes my child can play up in the shop but she knows shopping is a part of life- why not make it into somethign fun- give them each a list of things to get as you all WALK around- have one on each side of the trolley and when they see something on their list they grab it. or promise them 10 minutes platy if they behave while shopping.
    Look at some of the stories of abducted kids- from their bedrooms- from a hotel room and from a bus stop- I would think their parents all thought they'd be safe too!

As for someone earlier on saying its no different to school- there is always teachers on duty in the school playground- there is not complete strangers coming and going thtas kind of like comparing dogs to elephants- completely different.
    Last edited by MommaBear; 28-04-2012 at 17:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't the signs on these playgrounds usually say children must be supervised at all times?
    All the ones I've seen have that written on the rules. Regardless I wouldn't do it. Stranger danger aside, my 6 year old, who is very sensible, fell at a playground a few weeks ago and was knocked unconscious and stopped breathing. She fell on soft floor too...maybe I'm a helicopter parent but I'm extremely grateful that DH was keeping an eye on her and could respond quickly.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I would. Kids that age are out on the school playground by themselves every day.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    school playgrounds are supervised - and anyone on school premises has to (legally) sign in at the office ... a shopping centre playground is an unsupervised open area ...

I know you want to shop OP .. but I just couldn't do it ... the consequences if anything were to happen (there was an issue in sunnybank brisbane a few weeks ago where a mum let her little girl walk to the supermarket toilets on her own .. and a pair (13 and 14 year olds) teens beat her .. repeatedly and kept her contained in the toilets ... the teens were on camera and have been charged, but that sort of stuff scares me too much to leave my own children unattended even for a short time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

share a book  (28-04-2012),Witwicky  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    school playgrounds are supervised - and anyone on school premises has to (legally) sign in at the office ... a shopping centre playground is an unsupervised open area ...

I know you want to shop OP .. but I just couldn't do it ... the consequences if anything were to happen (there was an issue in sunnybank brisbane a few weeks ago where a mum let her little girl walk to the supermarket toilets on her own .. and a pair (13 and 14 year olds) teens beat her .. repeatedly and kept her contained in the toilets ... the teens were on camera and have been charged, but that sort of stuff scares me too much to leave my own children unattended even for a short time.
    A 13 year old girl was raped in a public toilet, in the middle of the day, at one of my local shopping centre's. Her mum was doing the grocery shopping, she needed the toilet so sent her out and this man followed her in and raped her. Horrible because I really think 13 is fine to send your kid to the toilet on your own but I bet that mother will never, ever forgive herself. They caught the man a few days later at least but yeah...awful.

I also think it is very different to a school playground. DD1's school is only small, less than 250 students all up and in the infants area alone (around 100 kids) they have five teachers on playground duty watching them. The whole playground is covered, no stranger could walk in and not be seen.
    Last edited by Areca; 28-04-2012 at 17:20.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've just finished reading the thread and I'm REALLY glad you got the shopping done without the kids .. yay!!!

much nicer to shop without the helpers .. lol - awesome that your SIL could help out

xx
    Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    FTR, my kids are not allowed to go to public toilets on their own- that's one thing my parents never let us do either. I remember in primary school there was a man hiding in the girls toilets at my school

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't. Not a 4 and 6 year old. No way. I think you should just deal with the pain of shopping with them. Not fun, but far easier to deal with than the possibility of some weirdo snatching your kids away. It's such a shame we even have to worry about such things, but it's not worth the risk in my opinion.