+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No i wouldn't.

Who would get the cans from bottom shelf for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    A thread just a few days ago on here showed that most BHers were experimenting with drugs and alcohol by that age. I sincerely hope that my children have the tools necessary to deal with situations where they or their peers may be in serious trouble at that age, so i will be teaching them to look after themselves from a much younger age.
    More and more social commentators are beginning to speak up about the dangers of cloistering our children, these dangers are far greater than the minuscule chance of 'stranger danger' but i know I am alone in my beliefs on this issue and while I feel very strongly.and passionately about them, I will leave it there as I'm currently experiencing shocking MS and don't have the energy to argue my point.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Sorry you are feeling so crap...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (28-04-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Sorry you are feeling so crap...
    Thanks mate. Usually I love a good argument but today I just want to wallow in self pity

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Thanks mate. Usually I love a good argument but today I just want to wallow in self pity

We'l save it for another time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Fearless leader, I think I'm with you on this one. I realized today that me and my sister were cruising around on a peewee 50 (spelling?) motorbike not much older thsn my DD- at about 10-11 years old, I was babysitting people's kids at night at 11-12 yrs old (before mobiles too- shock horror!) at the same age I used to catch the bus with my 3-4 yr old brother and sign him into daycare before and after school a couple of days a week. Mum had us all cooking once a week by the time we were in high school, had to do my hair in my own by the time I was 8 or she said she'd chop it off, at under 10 yrs we were free to go to our friends house down the road and ride our bikes in the church car park across the road unsupervised, walk up the road to the petrol station etc.

My parents were very vigilant, very caring parents who hardly let me watch snything on tv, even at 11-12 I wasn't allowed to watch H&A! But they really encouraged our Independence. I don't believe 'stranger danger' is any worse now than 20 years ago, I just think we, as parents have become a lot more careful (which is not always a bad thing- think Beaumont kids that were on their own at the beach when they disappeared, it's definitely good we're not THAT relaxed anymore!)

I don't know if I would necessarily leave my kids at a playground within a shopping centre right outside the aldi where I could see them, but chances are I would, depending on thr circumstances. I've let them play on the playground at bunnings while I've looked around, which I guess is the same thing really.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (28-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    Maybe you could sit with them in the playground for half hour or so and let them run some energy off, then take them shopping. That way they are too tired to make too much of a fuss, are less likely to be bored, and will have a fun time while out too.
    I agree with this! I wouldn't leave children of that age in a playground unsupervised, anything could happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally wouldn't do it. It's not a matter of them running away, but the chance that they would get hurt, and who knows who else is in the shopping centre that you cant trust. It's only a very slim chance of anything happening - but if anything did then the guilt would eat me up! I would rather a half hour of annoying shopping!

Why don't you make an adventure out of it? Give each child a pen and paper and get them to write down a list of ten things each that you need. Be sure to spread the things out evenly through the aisles (ie. not all fruit/cold etc). The pen and paper will keep their hands occupied, and the list will keep their minds hopefully occupied. Call it a treasure hunt and pretend you're all pirates. Boys love that!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Honeymoonbub; 28-04-2012 at 16:32.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, I wouldn't. I dragged my 4 and 5yo around a packed Aldi today and I am 8 months pregnant. It's annoying, but not that hard.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think children should be suffocated, by any means. However unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on how you look at it) a previous job has opened my eyes up to the dangers which surround us and I am extra cautious about leaving my children unattended in public, even for a small while. My colleagues were the same with their children.

Sometimes I think it's a bad thing that I have been made aware of these things, but most of the time I think I'm glad that I am mindful of them. Those ages are just too young, in my honest opinion. Obviously each to their own though, you have to do whatever it is that you feel comfortable with as a parent.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 28-04-2012 at 18:10.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Areca  (28-04-2012),LoveLivesHere  (28-04-2012),MissMuppet  (28-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with Fearless Leader and Annabella on this one. I wouldn't automatically rule it out.

Of course I don't know your children, or the exact environment, but for my family, yes my 7 yo plays in the park opposite the fish and chip shop, while I order dinner. And this is a situation I am comfortable with knowing my daughter, and having weighed up the risks.

I tend toward free range in my parenting style, and believe kids need to learn to assess risk for themselves, and will never learn if constantly supervised.
    Maybe it also helps that we live in a rural area where the kids seem a lot freer to roam, with a lot less emphasis on stranger danger, and a lot more on practical safety tips.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (29-04-2012)