+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    What I find insteresting is that most, if not all, of the people who say yes they would do it don't have children of these ages. I remember DH used to talk about how he had a key to the house at 6, and how he was allowed to run around the streets until dark and how he was going to be a 'free range' parent. Yeah, now we have a six year old and he won't even leave her out in the front yard to play by herself for any longer than it takes him to run inside and quickly grab something he needs (and I mean quickly), and he gets her to come inside the (ungated) fence too.
    I have posted saying that I would let my kids do that..... Obviously I wouldn't let my 1 year old go to a playground unattended. But I would, AND HAVE, let my 5 year old go to our local playground with her neighborhood friends (around the age of 6-7) without an adult. She is also able to walk to her great grandmothers house that is one street away.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I really don't recall ANY of the posters who said that they would do it, call the others 'overprotective' or 'helicopter parents'. I know I didn't! I know I am in the minority, believe me I'm in the minority where I live too - I just believe that the world isn't as dangerous as we are led to believe.....

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (29-04-2012),bugsy  (29-04-2012),Guest654  (29-04-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    I know I am in the minority, believe me I'm in the minority where I live too - I just believe that the world isn't as dangerous as we are led to believe.....
    I agree with you. And statistically, it really isn't.

Much higher risk factors with driving a car, and also with leaving your kid with family/ friends. Random kidnappings/ attacks are very very rare. Usually it happens with someone known to the family/ a family member.

I love my parents very much, and have the highest respect for them, but they were what I consider to be very over protective when I was growing up. There were many things that my friends were allowed to do that I wasn't, and I was on the receiving end of a lot of jokes because of it (nothing too nasty, but it got mentioned a lot).

I appreciate that they made the choices that they felt were right, but I remember how much I didn't like not being able to do things that others were doing, and how many arguments/ upsets came from it. Looking back, I don't agree with a lot of their decisions, although I appreciate that it was because they wanted to protect me.

It's made me keen to not do the same with DD. It's funny (odd), as the instinct to over protect her kicks in, and I have to take a step back and rationalise it, and then make a decision.

She's a lot smaller than the ages discussed, so I can't honestly say whether I would be okay with that situation or not, as I don't have experience of kids that age. But I don't agree with the 'there's a pedophile around the corner' type comments. Statistically there isn't, and I don't want to raise DD to think that there is. I feel that I've had to do a lot of work to 'untrain' some of my thought processes, and I don't want DD to have to do that too.

I'm definitely not criticising anyone else's choices - we all do what we feel is right for our kids - but I do feel there is a kind of unwarranted hysteria in our society, and I think that it's a shame.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (29-04-2012),bugsy  (29-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think I would sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    but is it unwarranted?
    Thats purely an opinion.

As I said, in our area its every week.
    A little girl from canoon road turramurra (man picked her up and ran but 2 women intervened)
    a teenage girl in thornleigh was taken by knife point ( she escaped)
    a teenager in wahroonga park was approached by a man.
    a toddler was picked up in turramurra memorial park while mum was 100m away.
    3 girls were walking home in warrawee when a teenager pulled over and assaulted the youngest.
    Turramurra public school, a boy was approached and told his mum was sick. Boy screamed as Mum was at school.
    warrawee public a man was seen running after talking to 2 kindys.

This is just the last 6 months...

But read this..scroll down..for lists
    http://www.australianmissingpersonsr...Abductions.htm

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (29-04-2012),MissMuppet  (30-04-2012),share a book  (29-04-2012),Witwicky  (29-04-2012),Zombie_eyes  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I lost track of dd in a shop, only for a few seconds really, but when I found her, another mum saw my panic, turned away from her baby in the trolley and a man grabbed her baby and tried to leave. The baby was in a capsule and he picked it up but the mum screamed and a staff member called security. It all happened so quickly. It is also not uncommon.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

CluckySC  (29-04-2012),LoveLivesHere  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At my kids' school, anyone could walk into the school grounds and into the toilets and wait for an unsuspecting child. I could crash my car driving to the local shops, my kids could be hit off their bikes by a car reversing out of the driveway with me right next to them. They could very possibly be sexually assaulted by an uncle or make relative, much more likely than something happening in a playground where I can see them. And I am VERY careful with family etc, and I still think its a log more likely something will happen under those circumstances. realistically we all take a lot of risks every day with our children.

We are talking about a shopping centre enclosed playground, within the shopping centre, in eyesight of the supermarket, yes? Not sending the kids to a park around the corner unsupervised. Or leaving them in the playground while you go shopping at other stores where you can't see them.

Anyway, each to their own but like PP Said, no-one used the term 'helicopter parent' who would leave their kids. It's a very personal decision that you can't make unless you know the situation and have kids that age and only you know their personality. I know my kids that age would be fine.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually, the term 'Helicopter Parenting' WAS used, hence the subsequent references of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    ....I do agree wholeheartedly with Fearless Leader that helicopter parenting is not helpful...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

share a book  (29-04-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A couple of posters mentioned that statistically a relative or friend known to the child is more likely to commit an assault.

This is true.

But it doesn't mean we should ignore the other risks, no matter how small. That's illogical.

Listen - do what you feel comfortable with as a parent, each to their own - but don't accuse other parents of hovering or insinuate that other parents are overprotective. The concerns and fears in these situations are VERY valid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am happy to be a 'helicopter' parent if that's what it would make me