+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Performing Arts School

My DD has an audition coming up for a performing arts school. She's auditioning to apply as a drama student, and has to perform a monologue no more than 3 minutes long.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a child audition for a school like this, and have any tips?

She wants to do a monologue from Anne of Green Gables.
    She's leaning towards the one where she apologizes to Mrs Lynde, or the part where Anne "confesses" to taking Marillas brooch.

I think she should do the speech by the grand high witch in Roald Dahls The Witches.. It's awesome! But she's not fussed

Does anyone know of any other great monologues for an 11 year old girl?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe one of the parts from The Crucible?

Hope she does well!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ohh yes i know loads!

i auditioned loads and loads!

will be home after lunch and will post some.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My only advice would be for her to stick to something she's comfortable with! Lots of options are good, but if she's found something she's confident to perform I would encourage her to stick with that instead of looking for something more impressive, etc. I did a LOT of performing growing up and whenever I tried to do something because I thought it was a great piece, not necessarily because it suited me, I would never do as well as when I chose something that "fitted" me better. Everyone's different though! But she will learn how to explore different roles and characters outside of her box in school...for an audition I think it's best to stick to what she knows and is comfortable with.

As for the Anne options I would choose the apology to Mrs Lynde, while it's heartfelt and dramatic it's also funny because of Anne's use of "big" words. I think it has a bit more range than the Marilla apology. I'm a huge Anne fan!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went to the same performing arts school, as did DH.

My advice, do something you LOVE. You know you'll do well.

If she gets in, brave yourself for cat fights from hell. That school is known for back stabbing from every side.
    Last edited by TripleTime; 28-04-2012 at 10:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for all the advice yes I think she is leaning towards the Mrs Lynde apology, so it's likely what we will go with.

It says up to 3 minutes., but the Mrs Lynde one seems very short.. Do you think that will be a disadvantage?

BM: looking forward to seeing what you share

TT: yes I have heard things like that about the school :/ One of her friends from drama goes there, and her mum was telling there's quite a bit of cattiness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls audition is tomorrow.. I'm a bit nervous for her.
    She auditioned for singing last year and made the reserve list, but a spot never came up.
    She studies musical theatre, and acting is her stronger point, which is why she's trying for drama this year.

Can't wait to hear how her day goes when I pick her up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck. My step son goes to HSPA for drama. He created his own monologue but I think it comes down to the delivery and how believable their acting is. Let us know how your daughter goes. I'm sure she will do great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a performing arts teacher - I would recommend she chooses a monologue she understands and from a play she is familiar with. Also if possible, a character she relates to. I'm not familiar with Ann green gables so I can't comment on that particular monologue. Ask her questions about it to increase her understanding of the character and their circumstances (where is Ann? Who is she talking to? What kind of mum and dad does she have? Is she sincere in her apology?). Also work on her movement - it should be natural and never have movement for the sake of movement, it should be purposeful and driven by motivation of some kind (ie she gets up and walks to the window because she's feeling uncomfortable etc)

Sorry for the long post - hope it helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh so sorry..this one disappeared out of my subscriptions.

Hope she did well.
    I went to Newtown high school and auditioned for NIDA..and always found the best ones were the ones I knew inside out.