+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Exclamation Dealing with a job that is talking to unhappy people all day?

Just wondering if there is anyone else whose job it is to talk to unhappy/angry people for a lot of the day.

This is my job. Angry people call up and question why we can not cover their condition. I tell them, they go off.

I recently had one guy tell me he would be arrested if he said what he wanted to say to me.

I work 22 hours a week. I so need the money, but the job is doing my head in.

I already suffer depression and I think I am getting worse. As soon as someone gives me their "number" and I see we have declined them that's it my stomach gets a knot in it.

My only option is to find a way to deal with it I guess. Any tips?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Hers&Hers  (28-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have no advice, as I got out of that kind of work. It's really quite draining to have people ring up and be nasty to you every day, we used to get death threats regularly where I used to work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I have no advice, as I got out of that kind of work. It's really quite draining to have people ring up and be nasty to you every day, we used to get death threats regularly where I used to work.

Thank you.

I think I need to get out of it as well. I am studying Psychology but that is still years away before finishing.

People we decline and pregnant women just make me feel ill. I can only advise on what is written whether or not I agree.

But it seems to be shoot the messenger anyway has really got me down at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep. Thats my job too. I utilised the counselling service that our Employer offers. Its all confidential and got some great tips. I've worked there six years now. The best thing I learned how to do was to genuinely apologise. Explain clearly and just apologise again. Soft tones and further apologies. Lol it took me sooo long to work it out but you'd be surprised at how much it takes the wind out of them. Oh and when they ask 'well what am I supposed to do??' - I'm so sorry but I can't answer that.
    Hope things improve for you and that you have a supportive manager. It can be a real challenge getting to work when you are faced with customer aggression constantly.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kyls For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (27-04-2012),PomPoms  (27-04-2012),Shoopuf  (28-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've worked at the DMV and in insurance. Both pretty cr*p. Insurance was the worst though, people do not like to be told that the company will not be covering their damage. Although, I always felt safe in the building unlike front counter at the DMV when someone went off his nut and said he would be back with his shot gun and then took out the sensor glass door with his hip and shoulder. Fun times.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My manager is pretty good. I think what is most aggravating is that I make an effort for these people and then they have a go.

I guess one day it won't worry me so much just the last month it has really got me down.

Thank you though. I am glad your work have been so great about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No tips but I know what it can be like. In a previous job, we declined a claim for a client as the damage was due to wear & tear...he threatened to kill the assessor & staff in our office if the insurer we worked for didn't cough up...not nice. I guess after so long in the industry, I developed a hard skin & clients could get upset all they liked in the end, it wasn't me making the decision it was the insurer. I'm grateful to be out of the industry for good now!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I've worked at the DMV and in insurance. Both pretty cr*p. Insurance was the worst though, people do not like to be told that the company will not be covering their damage. Although, I always felt safe in the building unlike front counter at the DMV when someone went off his nut and said he would be back with his shot gun and then took out the sensor glass door with his hip and shoulder. Fun times.
    I work in insurance. Pre existing medical condition department to be exact. Of course people don't call up because they are happy we have offered to cover their medical condition on the trip to where ever .

Sounds awful where you worked! I can understand why you got out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    before DD2 arrived i worked reception in a liquidation/bankruptcy firm.

i copped mouthfulls down the phoneline and in person on a daily basis from creditors. the small business owners were the worst and felt like they held me personally responsible for their money loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you access counseling through work? Kyls' suggestion is a good one.

Aside from that, I'd probably look for another job.