+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I continue?

Ok, so today was the day I decided it was time to start to toilet train DD. she is nearly 29mths old. We went out and she chose 14 pairs of knickers.

She tells me after she has wet and poo in her nappy, so has some concept if the toileting.

We have had nothing but accidents today - she is on her 7th pair of knickers. I did manage to get her to wee in the toilet once, and was full of praise & excitement for her then she did. She doesn't fear the toilet, as when I hear the signs if her getting ready to dirty her nappy I take it off and out her on the toilet and she will poo.

Do I continue even tho I've had no success today - do I take that as a sign that she's not ready?
    Or to I just persist persist persist?

I've been saying all day 'you tell mummy if you need to go to the toilet' and 'are your knickers dry' and get yes and no answers... But then minutes after asking her to tell me - she will wet.

What would you do!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I hate toilet training...hate it. I discovered that after I tried to toilet train DD1, knowing she was aware and could do it if she wanted to. Cleaning up accidents just isn't my idea of fun so I gave up and we just had talks about what you do on the toilet etc. and she decided 6 weeks before her 3rd birthday she was ready and we never looked back...DD2 was 29 months when she decided she was ready to toilet train and DS is 2 1/2 and has the concept and the undies but isn't ready yet.

Some people persist, I just find it easier to wait until they are really ready.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would continue for a bit, maybe a few days max, as it doesn't sound like she is resisting you. I would sit her on the loo/potty every hour or so if she will let you, and offer lots of drinks so there is a good chance of success

I got really frustrated with the accidents so i used nappy pants instead of knickers, just to start with. Once they were managing kind of OK with those, I changed to knickers.

After training my two girls, I came to the conclusion that all the parents can do is offer the opportunity, the kids will do it when they are ready. I tried several times with DD1, and backed off when either or both of us were getting frustrated - it took 18m from when i first tried until she was fully TT. I tried a couple of times with DD2, and she just totally resisted, then the third time I tried she got the hang of it in two days.
    Last edited by Gothel; 27-04-2012 at 16:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    keep going.

don't wait for her to tell you...commit to taking her every 30 minutes for the next few days...then every hour...then after a week or so...let her tell you.

Kids are easily distracted and if having fun, they just don't think about it.

eta... i set a kitchen timer so i didn't forget either lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we used a timer system. In the beginning we used to put DD on every 15-20min and read her a short book. once i worked out that her holding was about 30-45min I put the timer on for about 45min. But we used to do it every morning 9-11 and afternoon 3-5. This way it was a game for her.

After a week or two, we lengthened the time - from breakfast till lunch and from her nap till dinner time.

We found that she had more accidents when tired/sick and when it was raining. but the biggest improvement was when we ditched the nappies completely. It was a PIA for 3-4 days but after than no issues. now we still have to occ remind DD to go to the loo after 1.5hrs if she hasnt been yet cos she is too busy playing. She is 20mths old.

If your DD is getting upset then leave it and start again the next day. if she is ok then keep going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    agree fully

Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    keep going.

don't wait for her to tell you...commit to taking her every 30 minutes for the next few days...then every hour...then after a week or so...let her tell you.

Kids are easily distracted and if having fun, they just don't think about it.

eta... i set a kitchen timer so i didn't forget either lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you think I should try knickers overnight or put her in a nappy? She doesn't wake up dry. Will that just confuse her?

I'm starting to get really frustrated with it, - cleaning up accidents isnt really something that excites me greatly... and I know she can tell but I can't just throw the towel in after 1day can I?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't put her in undies overnight when all she managed was one wee on the toilet all day...you won't confuse her, you'll just save yourself from stripping beds in the middle of the night.

If you're over it then just stop. Nothing bad will come of you putting her back in nappies tomorrow. If you think you're going to be successful then give it another day or two, if setting a timer every 30 minutes excites you then go for it. I just find all that extremely frustrating and boring and decided waiting until they told me they wanted to use the toilet was far better for my sanity

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would def continue I've just trained my 2 year 1 month old & it took 3 weeks of reminding/accidents before she got it...she still occasionally has an accident if busy playing & I dont remind her. In the beginning I left her with nothing on bottom half which was a lot easier as I found she was treating undies just like a nappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    stay in night nappy!!! wait till very confident in day undies AND waking up dry before trying that.

lots of kids take much longer to master the night time...DS had his last night nappy the night before he turned 4...some of his friends still need pull ups at night and they are 7/8. Day and night def different.

The cleaning up is part of it sadly..we have started putting dd (19 months) on the potty and have had a few wee's...not planning on trying undies till summer!