+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes.
    I worked in a child care centre and had terrible morning sickness (all day sickness), so I was running off to the toilet pretty often and wanted to sit down alot as everything around seemed to spin frequently. My boss and director called me into the office one day and basically told me "we know youre pregnant so we can sympathize, but you need to either lift your game or decide if its better to quit" ...so stop havingg morning sickness or quit so Im technically not firing you. Feeling really guilty, I quit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in same boat. Changed from a permanent state school job to a contract private school job. I think I will have to do another yr contract but wanna get pregnant soooo bad!!! Talk to the teachers union... My friend did... She's pregnant after 4 yrs contract... Now they're organizing perm for her... Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No. I got a promotion at 7 months pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    Is it easy to prove it was discrimination? Or like said above, is it considered discrimination UNLESS the employer can prove otherwise?
    A discrimination claim is different to an adverse action claim. With an adverse action claim, yes, the onus is in the employer that adverse action did NOT take place rather than the other way round. But you need to claim within 60 days, and it's only been in place since the FWA 2010.

Not sure about the statute of limitations for an EEO claim....

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With one job, no. They hired me at 35 weeks pregnant (and BELIEVE me, it was obvious! lol). But with this one I worry, not because I'll be discriminated against but as a pp said, I'll be behind the pack when I get back to work in terms of training etc.

As the pp said though, I'd rather put having my family get a little bigger first *chuckle*.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never felt discriminated against but it has certainly hindered my career progression.

I applied for a promotion when I was 9 months pregnant (had been acting in the role for 6 months), interviewed when DS was 3 weeks old and was found highly suitable. When I came back from mat leave, the person who had been acting for 9 months got it permanently over me. I suppose I made my choices with having a baby but it still sucks a bit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Which state are you in squirrelex? There are certain rules around contracts for over 2 years in Victoria. I would be contacting your union.
    Queensland x