+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Has being pregnant hindered job opportunities? *spinoff*

Has anyone felt that being pregnant has in some way interfered with work and promotion? Obviously businesses will never admit this given it is discrimination...

My experience is the school I teach in has had me on contract for 3 years and now that im pregnant I won't have the opportunity for permanency due to the time off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes definitely. At my old job I was put forward for a team leader position. As soon as I told my manager I was pregnant they hired someone else as they didn't want me to be team leader for 6 months and then go on maternity leave. I would have considered returning to work after my maternity leave but once they did that I told them I wouldnt be coming back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    Yes definitely. At my old job I was put forward for a team leader position. As soon as I told my manager I was pregnant they hired someone else as they didn't want me to be team leader for 6 months and then go on maternity leave. I would have considered returning to work after my maternity leave but once they did that I told them I wouldnt be coming back.
    Eek! Adverse action claim? Unless they could prove without doubt that they picked the other candidate purely because they were actually the best person for the role rather than you, you may have a case. And the onus of proof is on the employer. When did this happen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Eek! Adverse action claim? Unless they could prove without doubt that they picked the other candidate purely because they were actually the best person for the role rather than you, you may have a case. And the onus of proof is on the employer. When did this happen?
    She definitely wasn't the best person for the role. I had 4 years experience, knew all the systems, had trained all the staff, and knew all the agents. She had none of that. It was 3 years ago now so probably far too late to do anything about it. I didn't even realize it could be classed as discrimination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it easy to prove it was discrimination? Or like said above, is it considered discrimination UNLESS the employer can prove otherwise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I was meant to take on a lot more at work when I got my cert iii. Instead they hired a few people & I'm still doing the same stuff with no progression prospects because there's now no job for me to move into. Luckily I work for fun more than anything otherwise I might be grumpy about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Which state are you in squirrelex? There are certain rules around contracts for over 2 years in Victoria. I would be contacting your union.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep
    Last edited by MrsOC; 27-04-2012 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes but not in the way that you think. My work has introduced training cert 4 in management, all the staff at my level across the business are doing it. However I am now on mat leave and will miss out on the 10 month course. When I come back from Mat leave I will have one less qualification and less experience compared to the other people at my level. This will then impact me if/when I want to work my way up the ladder. When I go back I may be able to do the course, but it puts me 12 months behind everyone else.

I dont mind though, I would rather put my family first. :-)